This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We’re all well aware some people don’t like Valentine’s Day. Perhaps someone let them down on a previous one or they believe it was invented by Hallmark. I’ve compiled a list of some of my hot takes on the romantic holiday.

Not Enough People Consider Their Partner’s Love Language

Traditional V-Day gifts, like sweets and mass-produced trinkets, lack personalization and lead up to dinner at an overbooked restaurant with dozens of other couples doing the same thing. These gestures may impress a loved one, but considering their love language (quality time, gift-giving, words of affirmation, physical touch, and acts of service) increases the emotional impact. This quiz is a great way to discover your love language and your partner’s!

V-Day Negatively Portrays Being Single

Too many people feel pressured to couple up with the first person that will have them, just so they will not be alone on Valentine’s. It feels like there is a stigma surrounding singles around this holiday, maybe because single people don’t buy valentines. Regardless, your relationship status shouldn’t determine your happiness. Relationship or not, you can still enjoy this time of year: celebrate Galentine’s Day!

Galentine’s Should Be Celebrated More

Created for and popularized by the TV show “Parks and Recreation”, Galentine’s Day celebrates friendships, especially those between women, on the 13th of February. Usually in college, romantic partners come and go, while our friends support us through those heartaches and more. Good friendships are an important aspect of life and can be hard to come by; therefore, we must cherish those who support us and brighten our days. Galentine’s also isn’t restricted to friendships between women, friends of any gender identity can partake!

It’s an Arbitrary Holiday That Does Not Indicate the Success of a Relationship

This holiday results in a lot of stress for those in relationships, as it is typically viewed as an indication that their partnership is either successful or a failure. How healthy or “successful” a relationship is should be determined by how each partner consistently treats the other, not by their actions on a single day of the year.

It’s Not as Special Because Everyone is Doing It

Millions of people celebrate Valentine’s Day, flocking to the stores to buy slight variations of teddy bears, flowers, and chocolate. The romantic gestures performed on this day lose some charm because they typically only occur because everyone else is doing it: it’s a bandwagon.

Most Depictions of Valentine’s Overlook LGBTQ+ Couples

As the holiday of love and couples, it’s vital that future advertisements, movies, products, etc. become more inclusive and depict real-world relationships. It’s also very important for LGBTQ+ youths (and all youths for that matter) to see proper representation on one of the biggest holidays of the year.

It’s More Fun to Celebrate as a Kid

Cutely decorated boxes, store-bought or handmade cards, classroom parties, and candy were the integral components of any Valentine’s Day as a kid. Everyone in the class participated and the complexities of romantic relationships were nowhere to be found.  

Valentine’s Day is an undoubtedly adorable holiday that everyone should feel free to unashamedly celebrate (even if you’re just celebrating the love you have for yourself). Like everything, there are aspects of it that are problematic, but those don’t need to spoil the entire holiday.

Kailynn Renfro

CU Boulder '24

Kailynn is a contributing writer for CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She enjoys writing about entertainment, academics, fashion, and more. This is her fifth semester writing for Her Campus. She is a senior history major with minors in both Spanish and education. She is also learning Russian. Kailynn is currently working on an honors thesis, focusing on American perceptions of Soviet women between 1953 and 1964. In addition to Cold War studies, she has worked on late medieval and early modern England. Outside of school and Her Campus, she is an avid fan of film and TV. If she is not on campus or at a cafe, she is at home with a cup of tea working her way through her Letterboxd watchlist. Kailynn also loves to read, cook, and spend time with loved ones.