Style

Honest Review of Fjällräven Kånken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Fjällräven Kånken was founded in 1978. You can read the story on the white patch found in each backpack. But if you haven’t read it yet, this backpack design was founded so students could have more comfort on their backs. As we all know, backpacks are loaded with books, and some brands can be uncomfortable to wear.  Fjällräven Kånken wanted to be different.

I did not know these backpacks were a thing until middle school when I saw a few people here and there wearing them. It was such (and still is) a chic design with the iconic red fox on the front. So on my 14th birthday, I went to my nearest Journey’s and snagged the classic Kånken design. 

When I got to high school, I saw more and more of these backpacks pop up. It was also the first time I saw different designs, such as the laptop sleeve. I also saw different sizes like the Kånken mini, or the travel sling. Even during the transition from the 2010s to the 2020s, I never saw the Kånken go out of style. 

The company also sells outdoor gear like hats and jackets. But the fox logo is brown, and I still prefer the iconic red one. 

In 2022, I went to Sweden. I had the pleasure of visiting Malmö, where I saw one of the original Fjällräven Kånken locations. I still remember the scene as if I was there yesterday. I saw a whole wall lined with various Kånken products. It was there that I first saw the special edition Kånkens. I wanted something unique, so in addition to buying a Kånken pencil pouch, I also got a Kånken mini in this blue and light green color scheme. 

Now we are in 2023, and yet again, I spot many Kånkens on my college campus. This one girl had a totepack, which is a bag that initially comes as a tote, but if the straps are adjusted, it becomes a backpack. 

I want to share my personal pros and cons of this popular backpack (the original Kånken). In most articles, people put the pros first and the cons last. However, I purposefully put the cons first. I want to save the best parts for last.

COn #1: The side pockets are too small

I frequently carry water bottles with me. When I got the Kånken bag, I assumed those side pockets were meant for water bottles. But I could not fit any water bottle I had in that pocket, even my slimmest one. With all my time I had with this backpack, I could fit only 1–2 disposable water bottles in the side pockets. 

Con #2: The backpack is made with fragile material

Kånken backpack bodies are made out of Vinylon F. Even though this makes the backpack unique from others, my catch comes with stains. Over my four years of using this bag, I obviously acquired some small stains. I know I can clean the bag (that’s what I did), but I think this material can be stained easily. So this means I have to be careful where I leave my bag.

Con #3: The straps can be uncomfortable

This is not really a big deal for me, but the straps are made of polypropylene, and I will say it is not the most comfortable thing to have rubbing on your clothes for a long time. 

Pro #1: Fits a ton of stuff!

“Don’t judge a book by its cover” can be applied to backpacks too. I was skeptical at first that the Kånken would not hold up well. But surprisingly, it did. I put books, a pencil pouch, a scarf and even a hoodie in there at one time! According to this guide, the Kånken has a volume of 16 liters, and has dimensions of 38 x 17 x 13 cm. And despite it all, my back has never really been tired carrying the backpack. This is mainly thanks to the soft padding in the back. 

Pro #2: Supports good causes

Remember the blue and green backpack I mentioned earlier? It was a special edition design that actually supports the Arctic Fox Initiative. The backpack company collaborated with independent artists to make chic designs and to support good causes. The backpack I purchased came with a special tag dedicating the company’s mission to save arctic foxes!

Pro #3: The design collection is endless

I saw many backpacks with special edition colors such as stripes and dots. But even by itself, the Kånken has an outstanding color collection. There are literally so many shades of the rainbow and more as colors. When I got my bag, I did not know which color to get, but ended up with orchid, a shade of my favorite color (purple). I feel that the Kånken looks good in every single color! I can say that not every backpack brand can pull this off. 

My overall rating is five stars. Tons of people I know love this backpack, and I don’t ever want to stop loving it anytime soon! You can get your own backpack today, either from a Fjällräven Kånken store, their website, or any other retailer (in person or online). 

Jazzy Tung

CU Boulder '27

Jazzy Tung is a writer for Her Campus at University of Colorado Boulder (HCCU), and is a part of its social media team. This is her first year being a Her Campus member. She is so excited to be joining the HC team! Jazzy has always loved being involved with school media: in middle and high school, she was on the yearbook team. In her junior year of high school, she attended the National Student Leadership Conference in Washington D.C. (American University) for communication studies. That only fueled her love for journalism even more! She was also the president of her high school's Creative Writing Club. Currently, she is currently a freshman at the University of Colorado Boulder, who is majoring in journalism and planning to minor in international relations. She can't wait for the new adventures that college takes her through. Outside of school, Jazzy has a variety of interests. For example, she enjoys playing board and card games like UNO, spending time with friends and family, and surfing the internet for any interesting topic. Jazzy also has a large collection of notebooks in her room, most of which are from previous school years, that she saves in case she wants to write anything and everything later on. One of Jazzy's favorite hobbies, though, is stationery! She loves collecting pens, highlighters, sticky notes, and stickers.