This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

In movies, when girls go out, there is one thing you can be sure to see on their person, heels. Before coming to college, I was nervous that this was going to be a staple for going out in college. I am a tall girl, standing at five feet ten inches, and you can be damn sure that when I wear heels, I tower over everyone, girls and guys. Not only that, but it is a long way to the ground for me, so I walk very cautiously in my one pair of pumps. I was worried that I would stand out wearing boots or sandals, while still being taller than most girls, teetering in their heels, risking spraining their ankle with every step.

This may not be a popular opinion for girls who’s heel selection take up most of their closet, but one of the reasons I love Boulder’s laid back party atmosphere is it is not necessary to wear heels. While no one is turning their heads up at the 5’2” girl who can strut her stuff in her high heeled boots, wearing heels stands out at a party on the hill. I rarely see scary skinny stilettoed girls walking around the hill and for that, I say, kudos Boulder. I’m glad we keep things casual. 

Hailey Griss

CU Boulder

Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.