This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I was never a huge podcast listener. While hearing people talk about different topics was interesting, I would have rather watched a video or read a book than have someone talk in my ear for an hour. 

This was until I randomly stumbled upon a podcast that completely encapsulated my attention. I realized that it wasn’t that I didn’t like podcasts, I just hadn’t found the right genre. I loved human interest stories, where one would talk about a certain part of their life that impacted them, whether it be funny or meaningful. The podcast “Heavyweight” was able to satisfy my curiosity.

Produced by Gimlet Media, “Heavyweight” first released in September 2016. It’s been hosted by Jonathan Goldstein throughout all its seasons, and season six started its release in late September. Goldstein has this witty personality that keeps your attention while listening but also is able to create serious moments that leave you crying. The stories told on the podcast are funny, raw, and emotional.

“Heavyweight” feels like you’re listening to a mystery novel, only there’s usually no murder or incredibly suspicious actions involved. Each episode follows the same premise: the listener is placed into someone’s life, specifically into a part of their past that was never resolved. From there, those telling the stories take deep dives into their own lives and answer the question ‘why?’ to thoughts they’ve had for decades. 

My favorite episode is one called “#24, Jimmy and Mark.” It follows a man named Jonathan Marshall who retells the story of his 240-mile bike ride at only 10 years old with no adult supervision whatsoever. He was sent with two boys he had never met in his life and never spoke to after the journey. After 45 years, Jonathan tries to find and contact them. 

Not only does this podcast get you interested in the lives of random people, but it also makes you wonder about the things in your own past that have yet to be figured out. Though I haven’t spent decades thinking about a certain question from when I was a teenager (I still am a teenager myself…), it does make you think about the unresolved questions or situations you’ve had and encourages you to find answers. 

Since this podcast focuses on a different story each time, it’s easy to flip through the episodes and listen to whatever description seems most interesting. If you’re looking for something to listen to in the car, doing math homework, or while lying in your bed, then I highly recommend giving “Heavyweight” a try. Once you start, however, you will most likely find yourself listening to every episode and then anxiously awaiting the next.

Anna Bedell

CU Boulder '25

Anna Bedell is the social media director at the Her Campus, CU Boulder chapter. She writes content mainly on entertainment and culture, along with personal essays and experiences. A junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, Anna is majoring in business administration with an emphasis in marketing and a minor in journalism. She’s recently studied abroad at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy for the fall semester. An involved student in the business school, Anna writes for the school’s marketing department, is a representative for the Leeds Student Government, and works as a Leeds Student Ambassador. Outside of school, you’ll find Anna rock climbing, watching movies, writing, or traveling around. She’s sure to constantly update her Spotify profile and will never miss an opportunity to talk about her cat, Biscuit.