Wellness

HCCU’s New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

A new year means a new resolution. Our writers are always in search of self-betterment and are certainly working towards improving in 2022! Just so we are all held accountable, here are our 2022 resolutions. 

1. Read more books.

Many of our writers expressed that they wanted to read more books in 2022. Don’t know where to start with your literary journey? Check out my favorite BookTubers: Steph Bohrer, Noelle Gallagher, Paperback Dreams, and ChanelleTime! If you haven’t already, search #BookTok on your TikTok account for some amazing, page-turning recs. Finally, read Her Campus writers’ favorite book recommendations here

1. Journal more.

This is on my list every single year. The benefits of journaling are seemingly endless, and the ways in which you can journal are personal and creative! This year, try a bullet journal, make scrap art, or just document each day. 

1. Find more hobbies that are good for mental health.

Having external sources of validation that don’t depend on the approval of others is a key aspect of my personal mental health, and hobbies are the perfect way for me to access this free therapy! To help me find more hobbies, I’ve signed up to take a ceramics class and brought my guitar back to college with me. Click here to find a hobby you can pick up in 2022

1. Be kinder to myself.

Positive self-talk is incredibly important for mental health and self-esteem. Make sure to practice self-care, self-grace, and self-kindness this year (and every year for that matter!).

1. Stay healthy (or rather, not sick).

Now more than ever it is so important to protect yourself and others from sickness. Wash your hands, take your vitamins, and get plenty of sleep to help stop the spread of coronavirus and other common colds this winter! 

1. Stop waiting for the perfect time to use my nice things.

Who says you can’t wear that fancy top you just bought to math class? Make every day a special occasion by allowing yourself to use your special things! Find a reason to make every day feel special and use the things you spent your hard-earned money on.

1. Learn to whistle.

Love these little goals that make life a little sweeter! 

1. Spend less time on my phone.

This is another big one for so many of our writers. The time we spend on our phones can begin to feel intrusive and unproductive, so it’s important to assess what parts of your screen time feel like they serve you and which don’t. Try setting timers on your apps, deleting the apps that are bad for your mental health, or downloading new apps that foster a healthy and productive relationship with your phone. 

1. Try something new more often.

Be it a new hobby, a new coffee shop, or a new workout, changing up your routine helps keep your mind active and your life feeling exciting! 

1. Better time management.

The transition back to school after a long winter break can be absolutely detrimental to our precious GPAs. This semester, work on your time management skills to help you be the more productive version of yourself! Read this article by HCCU writer, Ella Salazar, to get started on your time-management journey! 

1. Meet new people.

Join new clubs, go to residence hall events, frequent a local open mic, or try a class outside of your major! The best way to meet new people is to leave your heavily trafficked circles and find new ones. 

1. Stop buying unnecessary things.

Marie Kondo your life and your buying habits! Live life a little less… cluttered. 

1. Be okay with change.

Life is messy, complicated, and constantly changing. In 2022, it’s time to finally embrace the things we can’t control and learn to love the changes that are thrown our way. 

While you don’t need a new year to start trying something new, consider this January a fresh start and always work to better yourself for the people around you! Here’s to a happy and healthy year of growth!

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.