international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash

HCCU Chronicles: First Week Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Winter break is a thing of the past as the Spring semester fully kicks off. Now that the first week of class is over, some of us are already studying for our first exams, others are working on our first drafts for essays, and others are already cashing in some unexcused absences. Here’s how some of our writers have experienced their first weeks: 

Jordan

Jordan is one of the great editors at Her Campus CU Boulder. She’s a junior studying Elementary Education, and although she isn’t all that hyped for her Elementary Math Methods class, she’s excited to see what her Culturally Sustainable Methods class will bring this semester. Like many of us, she is trying to find a balance between work and play, and she’s counting the days until Spring Break. 

Lanaya

Debuting as Editor in Chief, Lanaya has started the semester with a bang. Recovering from a knee injury and taking care of her mental health at the same time has been a challenge, but if anyone can handle it, it’s Lanaya. As a junior double majoring in Spanish and Psychology, her semester is one to envy, finishing every day before noon.  She’s enjoying all of her classes so far, especially Developmental Psychology, Neuroscience of Exercise, and Sports Journalism. 

Kailynn

Having been a writer for Her Campus CU Boulder for the past two semesters, Kailynn is making connections while writing and publishing articles every month. Her first week back has been chaotic and a bit draining, which is not surprising as a junior majoring in History. She’s most excited about her US History from 1948 to 1973 class, but she’s not looking forward to her two-and-a-half-hour-long lecture. Hopefully, the three days of spring weather Colorado will bring—though not soon enough—will make up for it. 

Marita

Our very own Her Campus CU Boulder President has just finished her last first week of undergrad. Marita is a senior majoring in Marketing and Operations, and her last week has been sort of fun and sort of stressful, but the perk of being an upperclassman is that classes are getting more interesting and more specific. The downside? She’ll have to start thinking about grown-up jobs soon, fully entering the workforce. Until then, she’s looking forward to graduating and warm weather. 

Mariana (Me!)

As a sophomore, I am officially halfway through college. This first week of classes has been exhausting, but fun. I am an English and Psychology major, and this semester I added a Business Minor; all of my classes are quite literally all over the place. I am walking a lot, reading a lot, and writing a lot, which I enjoy. This semester, I’m most excited about my poetry and fiction workshops. I wish I could say the same about my Principles of Accounting class, but I guess you can’t have it all. I’m most looking forward to publishing more creative writing this semester, turning 21, and I can’t wait for the cold to go away.

The beginning of the semester is a period of adjustment, where you settle into a routine and realize how much you took for granted during winter break. Thankfully, the spring semester is less intense than the fall, and Spring break will be here before we know it. In the meantime, enjoy a nice hot drink and our gorgeous campus.

Mariana Bastias

CU Boulder '25

Mariana Bastías is the Director of Outreach for Her Campus CU Boulder, where she is in charge of coordinating volunteer and social events as well as connecting with local businesses for partnerships. Her articles will range from profiles to movie and book reviews to current events to her own experiences. Mariana is double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology, with a minor in Business, at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She is the current manager of Brewing Market Coffee & Tea Emporium on Pearl St. Mall. As an aspiring novelist and poet, she has published a short story, Midnight Adventures, in Meridian Creative Arts Journal in their 50th edition, and she is currently working on a novella for her honors thesis. Whenever she can, Mariana likes to curl up with a book and a cup of tea and read the afternoon away. Her favorite novel is “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde, and she always pairs it with a cup of Earl Gray. Mariana is also an avid coffee drinker; as a professional and at-home barista, she’ll experiment with flavors and roasts. As a writer, Mariana loves filling notebooks with stories, poems, and observations of the world around her, as well as ideas for future articles.