Get Your Sh*t Together: Back to School Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The rude awakening that is the fall semester is upon us. Personally, I was not ready to leave my summer state of mind. Mentally, I’m still grilling on Monday nights and planning “weekend” trips on Tuesday mornings. Getting my sh*t back together has been harder than ever. After a few weeks of observation and personal trial and error, I’ve compiled a list to get you on track to feeling like you have you sh*t together — or at least a guide to pretending you do. 

1. Wake up early

I do it. Every internet “it” girl does it. Beyoncé probably does it. It’s almost an indisputable fact that people who get up early are more productive during the day. The luxury of a quiet apartment and those precious hours to get your day sorted before it begins are crucial to a day of faking it until you make it. I like to spend my mornings at the gym, making breakfast, and doing unfinished homework. However, meditation, morning walks, calling family members, doing some light cleaning, or catching up on a book or show can also really help to set good, productive intentions for your day. 

1. Always bring a water bottle
Water bottle illustration?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

I’m a sweaty gal, and as such, I know that profuse BO and forehead drops are not the look of someone who has their sh*t together. Since I am already up early, leaving early for class is crucial to combatting this appearance. The earlier I get there, the more time I have to dry off and hydrate before class begins. Having water with you at all times is important not only in the heat, but for ensuring your day stays on task and you aren’t worried about rushing to a dining hall just for a quick sip. Also, cool girls have emotional support water bottles – it’s simply a fact.

1. Clean your space

I can’t focus and do work unless my space is clean and tidy. Have homes for all of your little objects, make your bed in the morning (you’re up early so why not), and open up a window. Life feels so much more manageable in clean spaces. Set a timer for 30 minutes, vacuum, put your clothes away, wipe down your bathroom sink, and come back to yourself feeling a little more whole (together if you will). 

1. Plan your day

Before I fall asleep every night I try to write down an hourly account of the next day. Intention setting is so important when it comes to maintaining a put together facade. When I write down that I am getting up at 6 a.m., I am way more likely to actually do it. I feel less overwhelmed and ready to tackle the day when I know exactly what to expect. Even if I have no clue what I’m doing, I at least know where I am supposed to be and when!

1. Just do your sh*t

Just do it. Cross it off the list. I keep my school life organized via the wisdom of this life changing TikTok by @laurenlovelessss. Organizing your work is the best way to just stay on top of it and get your sh*t done. I find that 90% of the time, the one task I was dreading wasn’t even that difficult once I sat down and set my mind to it. As soon as you know it is due, start working on it. Using planning and intention setting, I am typically able to complete my tasks without even entertaining the idea of procrastination. 

While there are so many ways to start feeling like your sh*t is together again, these are just my favorite reminders to start every school year off on the right foot. While we can’t have it all figured out all the time, pretending that we can will  get us halfway there! Here’s to an it girl school year!

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.