butt disco ball jeans party fun
butt disco ball jeans party fun
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Style

Get Your Groove On With These ’70s Inspired Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Coined the “Me Decade” by journalist Tom Wolfe, the ’70s were all about self-expression. Young Americans who championed women’s rights, spiritual enlightenment, and music (especially rock ‘n’ roll) defined the era’s ~colorful~ style.

With these movements arguably came some of fashion’s most iconic and memorable trends yet. The looks that inspired “Charlie’s Angels” and “Saturday Night Fever” are far from behind us.

Here are 10 timeless ’70s trends that live on today.

Bell Bottom Jeans

This trend has made a HUGE comeback in recent years, and it’s clear why. Bell bottoms make your legs appear longer while complementing your natural curves – both accomplished with the trademark ’70s flare.

Tube Tops

Ah yes. The college frat party favorite. Thanks to ’70s disco, we can dance without the burden of sleeves to “Losing It” every weekend.

The Peasant Blouse

Comfortable and casual, the peasant blouse is a nod to the era’s iconic hippie movement. It can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.

Floppy Hats

This boho-chic look can both shade you from the sun and make a bold fashion statement.

Chunky Heels (or Boots)

The decade’s “party shoe”, chunky heels first emerged with the onset of disco and with platform soles, I personally find them easier to walk in.

Jumpsuits

This trend is a great way to step up your outfit game with little effort. Throw on a cute jacket and a pair of heels, and you’re good to go!

Sequined Dresses

Nothing stands out more on the dance floor than a shimmery ’70s inspired dress.

Hoops

These earrings became a staple jewelry item in ’70s nightclubs, and they’ve remained a classic look since.

The Farrah Fawcett Cut

This style BLEW UP as “Charlie’s Angels” actress Farrah Fawcett rose to fame in American pop-culture. Today, you can imitate her look (with minor alterations) for voluptuous, curly hair.

Cher Hair

The “Goddess of Pop” notoriously wore her hair in a straight middle-part. This effortless style was a leading ’70s look and has stayed mainstream ever since.

While the golden age of disco has since faded into history, the trends that brought it to life are FAR from gone. Hopefully, you’ll keep the ’70s in mind for your next night on the town.

Kelly Robbins

CU Boulder '23

Kelly is a freshman at CU studying strategic communication and journalism. You'll most likely find her procrastinating, watching stand-up, or rating movies as a self-proclaimed film critic.
Sko Buffs!