Get Your Bronze On With These Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Fast-forward to Spring Break. You are dartying under the Mexican sun with the entire university, when the moment of truth has arrived: it’s time to remove your Frat Tank/Victoria’s Secret Cover-up and show the world some skin. Not only are you regretting every late night Cosmo’s Pizza/Bova’s Brendan you’ve ever eaten, but also, you’re a little bitter at the universe for not blessing you with Beyonce’s flawless skin tone.

With less than two weeks left before the wildest week of your life spring break ’13, it’s crunch time (…literally). Now that the Rec Center is overcrowded, you should consider some other ways to attempt to look as good as the Victoria’s Secret Angel who modeled your bathing suit online. So what’s the number one last minute secret? Tanning. Because let’s face it, tan fat is better than pale fat.

Spray Tan
The expression “spray tan” usually induces a flashback to orange-looking teenage girls getting ready for homecoming, but the technique can definitely help you attain a glow. There are tons of different types of spray tanning, and coming out looking like a Nacho Cheese Dorito isn’t always included. Explore the many different UV-free spray-tanning options and find one that works best for you.

Self-Tanner
Tanning lotions that you can use at home are another great way to get perfect bronze skin, but there’s much more room for error – awkward finger stains and blotchiness. Jergen’s and Neutrogena are just two of the many brands that make these products. Apply an everyday lotion to your skin and you’ll notice a gradual change just in time for Mexico.

Indoor Tanning
Besides last season’s pumpkin spice latte, the tanning bed is a girl’s ultimate guilty pleasure. A few minutes in a UV bed can be equivalent to hours in natural sunlight. If you can get rid of the lingering fear of searing skin and melanoma, then this type of tanning is for you.

Natural Sunlight
Colorado weather hasn’t made outdoor tanning an overly viable option this season – we want tans, not hypothermia, but it looks like spring is finally starting in Boulder. If modesty isn’t an issue, you could definitely go one route and soak your body in oil before lying on Farrand Field, but if you’re a little more conservative, find a deck in a private backyard and marinate in the rays. There might be nothing worse than the memories of your mom coating every inch of your body in SPF 50 at the beach, but be sure to be on some sort of SPF before taking on the sun. Peeling isn’t sexy.

Whatever method you choose, tan skin is essential for the season. It means less makeup, more freckles, and firmer looking skin. And I mean, the sloppy pictures in Senor Frogs will just turn out SO much cuter.  Go get your bronze on.

Image Source: http://www.luxuryvillacollecti…

Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.