Foods to Keep You Alive During Finals

Finals are terrible. And if you’re like me and mostly rely on short-term memory and “BS-ing”, you’re going to need all of the brainpower you can get. So here are some foods to keep you moving!

1. 1. Dark Chocolate 

chocolate bundt cake

Did you know that chocolate improves blood flow to your brain? Chocolate also increases brain function because it contains compounds such as caffeine and theobromine which are stimulants.

Source: Healthline

2. 2. Fish

Grilled salmon on a plate

The Omega-3 fatty acids in fish can improve your memory significantly. So go make yourself some grilled salmon or make a tuna sandwich. And if fish isn’t your thing then there are always fish oil supplements!

Source: Eat Right

3. 3. Eggs

Egg yolks are the most concentrated sources of choline, which helps regulate mood and memory. And who wants to go to their final in a bad mood? And if the subreddit r/PutAnEggOnIt isn’t enough proof that the food goes well on just about anything, I don’t know what is.

Source: Healthline

4. 4. Walnuts

Walnut

It’s common knowledge that nuts are good for you, but did you know that they’re good for brain health? And walnuts are the best nut for study time because they have DHA, a fatty acid that improves cognitive performance. People who consume walnut oil have lower blood pressure responses to stress and that’s super beneficial during finals. 

Source: brainHQ

5. 5. Coffee

Shallow Focus Photography of Cafe Late

This one’s pretty obvious but it keeps you awake! And lord knows we’ll need that during finals. Please don’t use this as a substitute for proper sleep. You’re shooting yourself in the foot if you’re pulling an all-nighter because you don’t want to lose brain matter during finals. Drinking coffee is the food equivalent of playing coconut mall on repeat so get yourself some Starbucks!

Source: Advances Sleep Medicine Services, Inc.

And even if you can’t eat these foods just please, for the love of God, eat. It’ll improve your performance tremendously.