This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Five Great Movies for a Snowy Fall Day

When the weather gets cold and snowy in the middle of October, it calls for you to sit at home and snuggle up. Midterms will just have to wait; it’s too cozy inside! Here are the top five movies that are great for welcoming in this cool weather. It will get your mind off responsibilities and into staying in and drinking some apple cider or hot chocolate (whatever you prefer).

1.) La La Land

I hope that you’ve already seen it, but if not, this is the perfect opportunity to give it a watch (or rewatch). The film cycles through all of the seasons, so you get to experience it all. There’s really nothing like falling in love with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling falling in love with each other for the third time. It’s fun, beautiful, and heartbreaking… which is kind of how I feel about the snow.

2.) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Haters will say this is a Christmas movie, but I think it’s the perfect thing to get you in the mood for fall. Arguably the best Harry Potter movie, this brings action, romance and a lot of magic. You’ll want to wrap yourself in a blanket while watching the gang struggle through the Triwizard Tournament and wishing you were at Hogwarts. You’re never too old to binge on a Harry Potter… ever.

3.) The Edge of Seventeen

I’m not sure why, but I feel like whenever fall comes around so does being angsty? This movie is great because even if you’re not actively feeling the angst, it’s definitely going to tap into that side of you. It’s so relatable and comforting to know that everyone has a hard time growing up. There’s some laughs, attractive people and actually a pretty good coming of age story in this movie. Watch a seventeen year old stumble through high school while you kick back on your couch.

4.) P.S. I Love You

If you’re not into romances, this is not the movie for you. But if you love green rolling hills and Irish accents, then I think this will do. This is such a beautiful movie. Most of it takes place in Ireland and the rest in New York City. The romance is intense, but beware, it does get pretty damn sad. There’s a lot to love about this movie— the men, the strong female protagonist, and being able to see Ireland. Also, it’s on Netflix! Take an Irish getaway on this snowy day.

5.) Dead Poets Society

Ending the list is this iconic drama of a story of boys finding themselves through their incredible teacher, played by Robin Williams. This is a fantastic movie, it’s almost impossible not to have an emotional reaction to it. It’s the perfect film to watch for midterm season, and to realize that there is so much more to life than school (although obviously still very important). Be moved and watch this. Guaranteed, it will stick with you through the winter.

I hope one of these movies gives you some comfort on this lazy day! Thanks for reading.

Thanks to IMDb for the photos!

Journalism student, LOVES inspirational magazines
Sko Buffs!