This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you know that cold weather makes me want to just cuddle up with a good book and forget all my worries *cough cough MIDTERMS cough cough*. The beginning of a new school year always makes it hard for me to find pleasure in reading outside of class. While it may be hard to get back into the reading groove, here are a few books that have always been my favorite to read this time of year:

“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” by JK Rowling

What better way to get back into the school groove than by reading about the greatest school ever imagined? Something about Harry Potter always puts me in a fall and holiday spirit. My personal go-to is the “Sorcerer’s Stone”, but feel free to substitute this rec for your fav installment! If you don’t already know about Harry Potter (which rock have you been living under?!), the series follows the story of a young boy who learns he is, in fact, a wizard and has been admitted to a prestigious school of magic.

“A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith

This is my favorite classic ever written. I return to it every year and am left with the same warm and fuzzy feeling I had after my first time reading it. It follows the life of a young girl named Francie growing up in (you guessed it!) Brooklyn. It’s a beautiful picture of American life and is both heartbreaking and hopeful.

“Woman in the Window” by Tracy Letts

For those of you looking for something a little bit creepier, “Woman in the Window” will satisfy the need for those Halloween spooks! This book tells the story of an agoraphobic woman who witnesses the murder of her neighbor through her window. It features an unreliable narrator, a cast of interesting and creepy suspects, and lots of wine drinking. And bonus! A film adaptation of this book will soon be released, so be sure to read this thriller before you watch Amy Adams transform into Dr. Anna Fox on screen!

“The Nightingale” by Hannah Kristen 

This soon to be film adaptation starring Elle and Dakota Fanning will rip your heart out but then put it back together again. I probably cried for a solid week after finishing this book. Hannah Kristen’s piece of historical fiction follows the lives of two sisters resisting the Nazi occupation of France, but in two very different ways. This story was so insightful into the woman’s place during this time and what it truly means to fight. It reminds you of the importance of family and the power we can find in our love for each other. For anyone looking to get in their feels on a dreary fall day, this is the book for you.

“The Boy, The Mole, The Fox, and The Horse” by Charlie Macksey

This little book made my heart oh so happy! While it appears to be a children’s book, this short book filled with wisdom reminded me of the little things in life that mean so much. Filled with illustrations made from happy accidents, this book loosely follows a story of friendship, love, and the many forms they take. It’s perfect for a small afternoon read to give yourself a dose of serotonin.

While you may have already read some, or all, of these books, I find fall to be the perfect time to reread and relax. For me reading means taking time for myself in the midst of the chaos school provides. I hope that you can use these books to take the time for yourself. Happy reading!

Alia Davis

CU Boulder '23

Alia is the Director of Outreach and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a fourth year student majoring in International Affairs and Anthropology. When she isn't writing articles, she can typically be spotted on a run, watching sad films, or re-reading Dune.
Sko Buffs!