Fifty Shades of Funny – A Review of “Fifty Shades of Grey”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I remember when the first “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie trailer was released. But if I’m being honest, I mostly remember the slowed-down remix of Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love” the most. You know the one. Anyway, I digress. 

BDSM was considered a taboo at the time of the trilogy’s release, especially when the first movie came out. E.L James’ release of the Fifty Shades of Grey books took BDSM — which back then was a rather stigmatized kink — and made it sexy, happenstance, and normal.

My three best friends from home and I decided after one of us watched the first movie that we had to go see the second movie in theaters on its release date. The release date for the second movie, “Fifty Shades Darker,” was a few days before Valentine’s Day 2017. We excitedly drove to the theaters, not knowing what we were fully getting ourselves into. After watching that second movie in theaters surrounded by a community of romance novel lovers and couples, we were hooked. This would be our Galentine’s tradition! It was the best idea ever. So naturally, the next year when the final part of the trilogy, “Fifty Shades Freed,” was released, my besties and I took to the theater ~Galentine’s~ style. By this time, we had coined a name for our Galentine’s tradition: Grey Day.  

After recently rewatching the first Fifty Shades movie, I had a few new outlooks on it. One, honestly hilarious. I was so enthralled with it as a teenager that I turned a blind eye to all the cringey moments. Two, Christian Grey was a lowkey love bomber. Showing up to Anastasia’s apartment, stealing her away from her dad at graduation, and then once again crashing her girl’s trip to visit her mom in Georgia. These examples are just the tip of the iceberg, though. I caught myself laughing and cringing but still loving every minute of it. And now, I will share my favorite moments/concepts with you, reader. Without further ado, here is my deep dive on “Fifty Shades of Grey’s” funniest moments.

1. Anastasia is still a college student!-Like really? How did I think that’s what college would be like?
  2. Anastasia falling into Christian’s office leading up to their meet cute.That door did her dirty.
  3. Christian insisting Anastasia steers clear of him but making no effort to let her. He literally mails her first-edition James Hardy books.
  4. Their drunk phone call after her finals when Anastasia says “‘You hit the hail on the ned. I mean the head on the nail.” So funny but who wouldn’t be flustered when on the phone with Mr. Grey?
  5. Jose being in the friendzone in all three movies. Poor man.
  6. “Laters, baby!”Christian should’ve left this one to his cooler brother.
  7. Christian wanting Anastasia to come over Friday through Sunday and sleep in her own bedroom at his house. This, of course, is after he proposes the sex contract.
  8. When Anna asks if Christian will still take her on dates and to the movies and he says “no that’s not really my thing.” OG dominant f*ckboy.
  9. When the contract says Anna must eat to maintain regular health plus she “can’t drink in excess or use recreational drugs.” Alright now he’s just being choosey.
  10. Christian’s jeans with the holes in them he wears every time he goes into the red room. His ~sexy time~ jeans
  11. Just Rita Ora as a character. I didn’t know this movie needed Rita Ora’s cameo but it so did.
  12. Taylor the driver has seen it all, yet he says nothing. A true confidante
  13. When Anastasia introduces Christian to her Dad at graduation, and he doesn’t think it’s weird that he’s never heard any talk of him. “Oh Dad, you don’t know I date the richest, self-made man west of the Mississippi?”
  14. Christian goes to the hardware store Anastasia works at and he says “tape, rope, zip ties” How did she not run and hide? 
  15. The very forceful lip bites – Like MGK with Megan Fox and Travis Barker with Kourtney Kardshian with the tongue touches 
  16. Anastasia asking at their meeting about butt plugs and nipple clamps. Anastasia…Google it
  17. When Christian shows up to Anastasia’s staycation at her Mom’s in Savannah, GA. ~LOVE BOMBING~

Regardless of my list, these movies are still a cultural classic and I will always cherish Grey Day. But anyway, I hope you feel thoroughly inspired now to watch “Fifty Shades of Grey” with a new lens.

Jess MacAulay

CU Boulder '22

Jess MacAulay is a senior broadcast journalism major here at CU Boulder. She loves 30 Rock and The Mindy Project and thinks more people need to watch these shows because they're the best TV shows of all time. When she’s not writing for Her Campus she can be found hanging out with friends, standing in the sun, or mourning the closing of Cheba Hut on the Hill.