The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I don’t know about you but watching the trees change colors and listening to the crinkle of the leaves when you step on them makes my heart so warm and happy. Fall is finally here and I couldn’t be more excited for the crisp air and cooler weather. One of my favorite things about fall is the fashion and the fun trends that break out each year. After doing lots of research (aka lots of online shopping, and watching fashion week runway shows), I was able to find some of my fall fashion necessities and trends that will leave you craving this fall. 

Faux leather pants

Faux leather pants are a classic piece to any fall or winter season that will never go out of style. Not only are they super warm, but they are super flattering and versatile for everyone. You can dress them up with a bodysuit and booties, or dress them down with a crewneck and some cool sneakers. 

Shop some of my favorite pieces here at Abercrombie, Nordstrom, and Aritzia.

nasty gal double breasted trench coat
Photo via Nasty Gal

Colors

I know when most people think of fall they think of muted browns, creams, and black for staple colors. However, something about fall makes me lean towards fun colors. Some of my favorite colors to wear during fall are purple, orange, green, and blue. Fall is all about the leaves changing color, so go ahead and change the color of your wardrobe too!

Shop some of my favorite pieces here at Free People and Nordstrom.

Oversized flannels

One of my favorite fall trends are flannels. No matter what year it is, flannels will always be a staple. Investing in a flannel that is comfortable and warm will be a life changer for your fall wardrobe. By layering it with a hoodie and joggers, or with a graphic tee and jeans, a flannel will take your look to the next comfort and style level. 

Shop my favorite flannel at Urban Outfitters.

Knee-high boots

Knee-high boots are also a classic wardrobe staple that will never go out of style. The cool thing about these boots is that they come in different styles to fit all of your needs. One style is the skinny knee-high boot that fits to your leg. These are so flattering and perfect for those looking for a tighter fit. Also trending now are the wider legs which would be better for denim and joggers. They also come in pairs with heels and no heels, so you can totally find the perfect pair to fit all of your needs. Knee-high boots are so chic and fashion-forward, they will elevate any look. By pairing knee-high boots with a dress or skirt, it will be the perfect transition outfit for when the weather isn’t as cold. Knee-high boots with jeans are a classic look that I will love forever, since it’s so easy, simple, and comfortable. 

Shop some classic knee-highs at Nordstrom: #1, #2 and #3

Western boots

Going off the shoe trend, western boots have been very popular this late summer/early fall season. Whether they are knee, clave, or ankle-length, these shoes are so fun and girly while still being versatile for any occasion. You can find a simple neutral pair, or some with fun patterns, fringe, or colors. These shoes are perfect if you want to add a little spunk to your outfits. 

Shop the cutest and unique boots at Nordstrom: #1, #2, and #3

Long sleeve bodysuits

Bodysuits are one of my favorite fashion creations; they are so flattering, comfortable, and easy to wear/style. By finding a black or white long sleeve bodysuit, you will have a great staple. Bodysuits are the perfect item to layer with or wear on their own. You can dress your look up with some chunky necklaces and a cool leather jacket or dress it down with an oversized cardigan and some boyfriend jeans. Finding a lined or ribbed bodysuit will provide extra warmth for the cold weather and texture for visual styling purposes. 

Shop some staple bodysuits at Macys: #1, #2, and #3 

Denim

Having a nice pair of denim is going to be the best thing you can do for building a proper wardrobe. Denim never ever goes away, so finding a pair to fit your color, style, and fit needs is so important. Some of my favorite styles are boyfriend and flare jeans because they add so much more to your outfit and make it look like you made more effort than you really did. Straight leg and flare jeans have been very popular this season especially with a raw hem at the bottom. This just adds an extra detail that makes your outfit more eye-catching. 

Shop my favorite jeans ever at Lulus, Altard State, and Nordstrom

Sweatpants

I don’t know about you, but I love wearing hoodies and sweatpants during the fall season. Being comfortable is key for me, so finding the perfect pair of sweats is so important for the colder weather. Some of my favorite ways to style sweats are with matching sweatshirts, cool sneakers, and some fun jewelry. By adding these things to your sweatlook, you look more put together and give off the cool streetwear look we all know and love. Not only is it a fun and trendy look, but it also feels like you’re wearing pajamas all day, which in my opinion is the best of both worlds. 

Shop the sweats I can’t live without at Lululemon, and Aritzia 

All of these items I chose are some of my favorite pieces in my closet, and I know that you will love them too. I’m so excited for fall and I hope this article helped you build the excitement that I have for this cozy season! 

Laine Egan

CU Boulder '24

Laine is a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in Psychology. In her free time she loves shopping, working out, reading, and spending time with her friends and family.