Fall 2020 Home Decor Trends to Incorporate Into Your Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s October, which means fall is officially here! These are a few of my favorite trends anyone can implement into their space without breaking the bank!

Textile Art

One of my favorite trends I’ve been seeing lately is textile art pieces which are usually in the forms of wall hangings whether it’s using macrame, clay, or on a canvas. Textile art pieces can act as a focal point and are great for filling up blank walls in your space!

You can easily DIY a textile art piece yourself with a little time and patience! Drew from Lone Fox on YouTube has so many incredible videos (like the one above) for how to DIY macrame wall art. A few more videos from YouTubers that incorporate this style are listed below:

– Lone Fox | 5 DIY WALL ART DECOR IDEAS

– Lone Fox | 5 (MORE) DIY WALL ART DECOR IDEAS 

– XO, MaCenna | DIY MACRAME Home Decor

– Tina Lee | EASY DIY AIR DRY CLAY PROJECTS

Neutral Tones

Color is one of the most important things to keep in mind when transforming your space, whether it’s during this time of year or not! I recommend finding a color palette that includes tones you want so you have a reference when finding decor. Warm tones are a classic, but neutrals are making their way into more homes this year.

A few go-to color palettes for fall are neutrals, warm earthy tones, and dark earthy tones. More color palette combinations can be found here

Make it Cozy

As we transition away from summer and towards winter, it’s so important to make your space cozier with pillows, blankets/throws, and candles! A few of my go-to places for these items are Target (I always check Bullseye’s Playground for small seasonal items), T.J.Maxx/HomeGoods, and World Market! I also love putting a YouTube video of a fireplace on my TV when I’m not using it since I don’t have one, but it completely transforms my living room. 

Bring Nature In

My last piece of advice is to bring nature in! Fall is one of the best seasons that allows you to bring pumpkins, squash, grasses, and leaves into your space! Dried grasses are definitely becoming more common and work well in all rooms because they are so neutral. You can arrange them in a vase or turn them into a beautiful wreath! Adding a bit of paint to pumpkins to match your color scheme is another great inexpensive way to bring nature in!

Decorating a space is one of my favorite ways to transition from season to season and doesn’t have to be a stressful process! Whether you implement one or all of these things, your space is going to be ready for fall 2020

Hannah Curran

CU Boulder '22

Hannah is a Junior studying Creative Technology and Design. She is passionate about website development, graphic design, digital art, and of course, writing! Hannah also has her own sticker business, @whoishan!
Sko Buffs!