This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

After a long summer, fall has arrived. It’s finally time to replace your shorts and tank tops with cozy sweaters and baggy jeans. As we begin to transition into fall fashion, these 2020 fall fashion trends will be everywhere this season and will hopefully help get us all out of the quarantine blues. Check out my list of my favorite fall trends! 

Tennis skirts

Tennis skirts have exploded in popularity this season, giving new meaning to “school girl” chic. All of my favorite influencers and celebrities have been seen rocking a tennis skirt with anything like a cute crop top, oversized sweater or sweatshirt, or layering sweater vests and collared shirts. 

Collared shirts

I have been patiently waiting for collared shirts to make a fashion comeback. This fashion season, look forward to seeing collared shirts make an appearance. I love layering these shirts under oversized sweaters and sweatshirts to elevate a simple look. 

Blazer sets

Everyone needs a fun blazer set in their closet. Get ready to see bright colors, fun patterns, and unique shaped blazers all over the streets. A blazer doesn’t always have to be formal! Throw on your favorite blazer set and chunky sneakers for a fashion-forward and comfy look. 

Patchwork denim

I have always loved mixing different shades of denim, so you can imagine my excitement when I started to see patchwork denim all over my Instagram. I can’t wait to get my hands on a colorful pair of patchwork jeans and truly embrace my 70’s fashion. 

Baguette shoulder bags

Baguette shoulder bags are probably my favorite fall trend. Don’t get me wrong… I will always love crossbody and tote bags, but shoulder bags hold a special place in my heart. Baguette shoulder bags pull inspiration from classic 2000 looks and fashion icons, while also adding a pop of color and texture to any outfit. I can’t wait to experiment with different styles of neon color shoulder bags this season. 

Y2K

Y2K or “the year 2000” fashion is everywhere this season. We have seen 2000’s fashion pop up in different ways over the years, but this season it’s heightened… and I am all here for the “blast from the past” moments we are having. From lace camis, baby tees, and neon colors, to low rise jeans, we are seeing a reappearance of late 90’s and early 2000’s aesthetics everywhere

Sweater vests

Sweater vests are dominating the fashion scene this season. Sweater vests are cool again and I am obsessed. High-end designer labels like Prada, Gucci, and Dior all showed nerdy-chic sweater vests in their F/W 20 Runways, making them no longer just my Grandpa’s favorite garment. 

Oversized vintage leather jackets

“Oversized” clothing has taken over the fashion world. From oversized sweaters, sweatshirts, t-shirts to jeans, baggy clothes are back in style. I am living for oversized leather jackets, and I am so glad they are finally having their turn in the spotlight. I will definitely be searching my local thrift store for the perfect vintage leather jacket to use as my go-to jacket this fall.

This has definitely been an unusual year for fashion, but these trends make me excited to experiment with clothing again. This is the year to take fashion risks and be bold with your style. What trend are you most excited to try? 

Isabella Silber

CU Boulder '22

Isabella is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is a Strategic Communication major with an emphasis in Public Relations and a Journalism minor. When she is not flipping through fashion magazines, she can be found obsessing over a pair of sneakers, running up the Flatirons, and reading in a nearby coffee shop.
Sko Buffs!