Winterbreak Hero
Winterbreak Hero
Neula Ha/ Her Campus Media

DorM rules I don’t stand for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As a proud resident of the CU dorm community, I’ve taken it upon myself to study the resident handbook and its rules. Most of them make relative sense. For instance, you can’t play beer pong in the communal areas as a minor. On the other hand, some of these rules seem worth breaking.

Candles

If I can’t get into the festivities with my Bath and Body Works pumpkin spice candle, then how can I possibly celebrate fall? I am convinced this is a crime against my fellow holiday lovers. I’m dreading the time when Christmas comes, and I’ll be forced to miss out on the new scents. I know it’s potentially a fire hazard, but considering the laundry machine burst into flames the other week, candles should not be the worst of our concerns.

Toasters

I have been absolutely craving some buttery toast from the safety of my room. I’m aware the dining hall has toasters, but it’s simply not as comforting as chomping on a bite of crispy buttered bread while wrapped up in blankets on my twin XL.

Marijuana

We live in a state where we have access to legalized medical marijuana, yet kids with med cards aren’t even allowed to be in possession in their rooms. The RAs (off the record) have told us to go off campus, but where are we supposed to keep the goods? I really don’t think a few edibles are hurting anyone by sitting in a desk drawer.

Animals

Now, I can understand the reasoning behind not allowing wild animals into the dorms, considering rabies and all that. But, every day I pass by our campus squirrels. Their bubbly personalities and adorable cheeks make it hard not to give them a bite of my lunch. I genuinely think I could befriend one enough to adopt it. I believe if you work hard enough to befriend a squirrel, it should be able to live in your room.

Beanbags

Finding my iconic, red-leather bean bag at Goodwill for the bargain of $3.99 was an offer I couldn’t turn down. Besides having to lug a chair the same size as me down Baseline, that bean bag has given me nothing but good times and comfortable seating. I didn’t even know I was breaking a rule until I checked out the residential handbook. I guess room checks won’t be going too well.

Now, it’s important to remember that all of these rules are still rules. So, make sure you follow them (or not, revolutions can’t happen with obedience).

Kate Paxton

CU Boulder '26

Kate Paxton is a writer and member of Her Campus Colorado University Boulder. She writes articles covering a variety of topics like wellness, college life, and films. Previously, she was an editor for her high school's newspaper The Mustang, where she oversaw the comedy section and contributed articles. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder, majoring in psychology with a pre-health emphasis. In her free time, she enjoys spending quality time with friends and family, binge watching sitcoms, and therapeutically cleaning her room.