This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Like many of my peers, I am indeed a VERY BROKE college student. However, I am determined to keep this sad reality from stopping me from enjoying cute brunch dates and nice dinners out with friends. So, I created a few tips and hacks to help you get the most bang for your buck when dining in pricey college towns.

Look at the menu before picking the restaurant. 

This might feel super extra and unnecessary, but it can be totally worth saving a few dollars. In most cases, I look through the menu to find the cheapest items that I will still enjoy. Then, when I get inside, I am not tempted to overspend out of my budget.

Don’t be afraid to split a meal.

Most meals I have had recently usually end with me taking home leftovers and occasionally having them go to waste. Why not share a meal with a friend, to limit waste and get a great meal for half price?

You don’t need to order a full meal, sides can be just as good

It didn’t occur to me, until I was spending $20 on a meal and only eating certain parts, that I could order food a la carte or order just sides. For instance, when I go to brunch and don’t feel like spending a lot, I will just order a side or two because I never end up eating the entire meal anyway. This makes meals even more customizable and you only pay for what you want.

Take advantage of being a college student, use discounts

Although I am not sure of all the restaurants which give students discounts in your area, all it takes is a quick Google search and you can save a few dollars on a meal as a result of giving all your money to your university.

So, go out, enjoy college, and take these tips to save money when you can’t resist an escape from nasty dining hall food or are just too lazy to adult.

Ashley Drake

CU Boulder '22

Ashley grew up in Huntington Beach, California. She is currently a Sophomore majoring in Advertising with a minor in Business. In her free time, she likes to hang out with friends, go shopping, and explore Boulder.
Sko Buffs!