This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The world, as we know it, is changing. In fact, it always has been. However, the onset of the pandemic has transformed it in a way that nobody has anticipated before, and one of the ways we have seen that was through the use of technology. 

Marvin Meyer via Unsplash

The digital age has opened countless possibilities that can help us stay connected and make our lives more efficient. The Internet has given us the opportunity to access all sorts of information within less than a second, and products such as cell phones allow us to communicate anytime and anywhere. 

As soon as the pandemic took over, the world watched as the rules of quarantine and social distancing limited our physical contact with other people. 

Luckily, we already had some ways to communicate online, but the main issue was how to implement them universally, and how to adjust to a fully virtual environment. 

woman in front of a computer
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

Many students, just like you and me, were hit hard by the abrupt transition to online classes. In addition to losing personal interactions with our classmates and professors, many of us also had to deal with numerous tech issues, like Wi-Fi, webcams, and microphones. We also got accustomed to hearing and reading things like “What’s the Zoom link?”, “You’re muted”, and, wait for it… “Turn on your camera”. 

While the online environment does have its disadvantages, it has its small perks as well. You can wear your pajamas (the bottom half, at least) all day. You don’t have to walk long distances to go from class to class. You name it. 

On a large scale, going virtual has helped people from different parts of the world connect more frequently with each other. In some ways, this has given us the opportunity to form stronger social bonds amidst the struggles of living during a pandemic. 

person looking at instagram outside
Photo by Georgia de Lotz from Unsplash

Last but not least, we must not forget the increasing use of social media. Just like I mentioned before, quarantine has opened new pathways for us to connect, and social media has especially been of popular use among the younger generation. One word: TikTok. I don’t think I need to go into more detail on that. 

As we immerse ourselves in this brand new digital world, we need to recognize that there are some aspects that go beyond our control.

person typing on MacBook Pro
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash

As more data is collected to improve our global technology systems, we may be sharing more about ourselves than we would like to. And as our world increasingly becomes virtual, social media and other digitized forums may begin to consume more of our time than ever. Because of this, we must take caution of the different methods that could violate our privacy. So, always be careful and think before you post. Make sure the information and/or content you choose to share with the world is something you’re truly willing to have others see. 

And for tech issues…well, you’ll get there. Even if you don’t, just remember that your professors will understand, and there are plenty of services and resources available at the click of a button. 

Just like the medical field today continues to find the cure for COVID-19, we as people are still figuring out how to get situated with the whole online situation. Trust me. I’ve been there, too. Whether you find it frustrating, wonderful, etc., just remember that you are not alone. We’re all going through this difficult and uncertain time together, and I truly congratulate you for braving through all of it. 

If you haven’t already, you can learn to embrace the situation, and don’t ever let it stop you from doing the things you love (within health guidelines, of course). 

Gennah Penalosa is currently the social media director for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a senior studying finance at the Leeds School of Business. When she is not doing homework, you can find her listening to music or drawing the face of a random celebrity.
Sko Buffs!