This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

In the intricate dance of relationships, communication serves as the backbone, the lifeline that binds hearts and souls together.  Yet, amidst the flow of everyday life, understanding the language of love can often feel like deciphering a code.  Taking time to understand and explore what ‘love language’ means to me and those around me was extremely beneficial when navigating friendships and relationships that I want to last.  A love language is the form in which people express their love and feel love.  I found that the way a person expresses love and feels it can be the same or completely different, and recognizing both can be rewarding in the long run.  

There are five love languages: 

1. Words of Affirmation 

Preferring words of affirmation as your love language indicates that you place importance on verbal expressions of reassurance and affection. This love language finds fulfillment in receiving words of encouragement and engaging in meaningful conversations, whether through spoken conversations, written messages, or texts. 

1. Touch

Individuals who prioritize touch as their love language tend to feel a deeper sense of connection with others through physical contact. This can encompass a variety of gestures, ranging from hugs and cuddles to back scratches and hand holding.  Touch is not necessarily reserved for couples and is often a love language between friends.  

1. Gift Giving/Receiving

Those who use gift giving/receiving as a love language express affection through thoughtful gifts or feel loved when receiving gifts themselves. I believe that even small, homemade gifts can have a significant impact when demonstrating affection. In my opinion, the key element of this love language is the thought behind the gift. The sincere intention to create something for someone or to carefully select a gift that suits their tastes demonstrates a profound level of love and consideration.

1. Quality Time

People who use quality time as a love language place great importance on spending meaningful time together and demonstrate their affection by being fully present. This can involve various activities such as hanging out, watching movies, dining out, or even engaging in a FaceTime call. Date nights and alone time are essential components of good relationships or friendships where quality time is valued.

1. Acts of Service 

Those who use acts of service as a love language prioritize actions over words when it comes to expressing and receiving love. They deeply appreciate when their partner or loved ones go out of their way to perform acts of kindness or help with tasks, no matter how small.  In their eyes, the willingness to lend a hand or provide support speaks volumes about the depth of love and commitment in the relationship.

Identifying my own love language posed a challenge initially and it caused me to reflect and take note of my habits.  Eventually, I concluded that I express love through the language of gift giving.  I frequently found myself crafting friendship bracelets, creating origami, and doodling when bored, all gestures I’d later gift to loved ones.  When I travel, I make sure to purchase souvenirs for those I love and think about, often favoring a handwritten message on a postcard letting them know I’m thinking about them.  I realized I can’t help myself whenever I enter a shop and see something I know a loved one would enjoy.  

While I have a fondness for the act of gift giving, I find that I place a greater emphasis on quality time as a means of feeling loved.  Time holds significant value in my eyes, as I am someone who enjoys staying active and recognizes the busyness of others.  The gesture of someone carving out time from their day to share with me holds immense meaning.  I deeply value the opportunity to create memories that I can hold dear.  This is why activities such as date nights and scheduled FaceTime calls (especially crucial for maintaining connections over long distances) hold a special place in my heart. 

While acquiring knowledge about love languages may appear straightforward, integrating them into relationships and navigating their nuances can prove challenging yet immensely rewarding. Recognizing and understanding the love languages of my friends, family and boyfriend held great significance for me, as I aimed to ensure they felt genuinely loved and appreciated. 

I would try to figure out the best ways to show love based on what each person likes.  At times, this process proved a little difficult, putting them and their love language first.  I vividly recall one instance when a friend was going through a rough time. Although my instinct was to talk it out with her, I remembered her love language was touch. I opted to provide comfort simply by being present, offering hugs and gentle back rubs. This experience underscored the importance of communicating and understanding each other’s love languages within relationships, facilitating mutual comprehension and emotional support.

As we navigate the complexities of relationships, embracing the language of love empowers us to communicate more effectively, resolve conflicts with empathy and create lasting bonds built on genuine affection and understanding.  In essence, understanding love languages isn’t just about speaking the same emotional dialect; it’s about truly hearing and valuing the language of the heart.

Melanie Santiago

CU Boulder '25

Melanie Santiago is a junior and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is majoring in Environmental Design with an emphasis in Architecture. She has always loved reading and writing and wants to see how architecture and writing can blend together in the future. She found her love for writing in her childhood where she would write creative short stories as gifts to her family members and also enjoyed writing out the script as a morning announcer for her middle school. Melanie is a passionate writer when it comes to movies, pop culture, and all things Latino culture. In her free time, Melanie enjoys coffee runs, movie nights, any CU sports game, going on a long run, and attending concerts or any live music get together. Melanie also loves traveling and seeing all the world has to offer.