Life > Academics

Cultur in Our Chapters: How CU Bateman Team is Amplifying The In-Between

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Each spring, public relations students participating in Public Relations Student Society of America’s Bateman Competition begin implementing the campaigns they spent the fall semester planning. This year, the client is Culturs Magazine, and one of CU’s Bateman teams, GetCUlturd, hosted a tabling event on February 25 in partnership with Kappa Alpha Theta to spotlight the presence of different cultures within Greek life. 

Culturs Magazine is a multicultural lifestyle outlet which prioritizes outreach to “individuals in-between cultures including multiethnic, multicultural, mixed-race, and geographically mobile people (like immigrants, refugees and Third Culture Kids) with a focus on people of color.” Isabel Pitalue, one of GetCUlturd’s writers, said she’s cherished the real-world experience working with Culturs has awarded her. 

“Throughout the development of this campaign, I’ve learned how to embrace my own cultures and how to educate my peers on those cultures. On the other end, I have learned a variety of ways I can dive into other cultures,” she said. 

GetCUlturd team

At the “Cultur in Our Chapters”  event, representatives from Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi and Tri Delta decked the room with poster boards, candies and replications of historical artifacts to bring pieces of Armenia, Türkiye, Austria, France, Switzerland, Ireland and Israel to Boulder. GetCUlturd had their own booth set up at the back of the room to serve as a point of contact and wealth of context about cultural intersection. Students were invited to sign GetCulturd’s pledge to “EMBRACE all cultures, backgrounds and perspectives of everyone [they] meet, EDUCATE [themselves] on in-between identities […] and CHALLENGE acts of cultural discrimination and bias.” They were also encouraged to place a pin on GetCUlturd’s poster board’s map to contribute to a collective visualization of “home.” 

Olivia Oosterhouse, GetCUlturd’s director of outreach, said the intention behind partnering with Greek life was to shine a light on a group often categorized as “non-diverse.” 

“Oftentimes, culture gets lumped in with race or ethnicity, but everyone has culture and everyone’s culture is valid and deserves a voice,” she said. 

Two members of Kappa Alpha Theta, Tessa Maurer and Ellie Bombel, engaged attendees in discourse about Judaism toward the front of the room. A passport stamp at this table required correct identification of the menorah, the Star of David and a kippah. 

“Events like these give us a chance to learn about everyone and where we come from,” Maurer said, and Bombel noted that “breaking Greek life stereotypes opens doors for more honor and respect between and within chapters.” 

Culturs Magazine recent exclusive feature

Researchers at University of Illinois found that college students “derive belongingness from four broad factors”: identification with the university overall, feeling that they’re a “social match” with others on campus, a sense of acceptance at their school and their cultural capital, which describes the the knowledge, skills and ideas that are valued in a given culture, society or social group. Feeling empowered to continue cultural practices in college becomes increasingly relevant across the Greek life landscape, as it leans heavily on collaborative leadership, social connection, philanthropic initiatives and communication. 

Jameson Brignac, who partnered with GetCUlturd to put on the event, was hesitant at first to join Greek life because she felt distanced from the “sorority girl” stereotype. Still, she explored her options, and Kappa Alpha Theta’s commitment to DEI swayed her decision. She now serves as the chapter’s VP of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

“An event like Cultur in our Chapters is a perfect way to bring sororities together through DEI and start the discussion about how we can make a more inclusive space,” Brignac said. “DEI is an ongoing goal of mine and my chapter. I hope this event was able to show our community that there is space for everyone in Greek life.” 

GetCUlturd plans to hold monthly meetings for students interested in conversations around cultural diversity, and is currently working with professors in the Program for Writing and Rhetoric to open an invitation for students to submit work to Culturs Magazine. Pitalue emphasized the importance of student engagement and inclusive journalism when it comes to unveiling the “in-between” identities of emerging generations. 

“Culturs Magazine helps CU students realize they are cultured, even when they think they’re not,” she said. “Culture is more than your family’s ethnicity or where you live. Culture is your family traditions, your interests, where you go to school, your religion and more.” 

GetCUlturd is a registered student organization at CU Boulder creating a space for students to share their cultural experiences and learn about others. They are partnering with Culturs Magazine (https://www.cultursmag.com/) to promote the power of DEIB efforts and embrace the intersectionality of the culturally in-between at CU Boulder. Get CUlturd and Stay CUlturd with them on Instagram @getculturdboulder and look out for details about upcoming meetings.

Sydney is a contributing writer and editor for Her Campus (CU Boulder). She joined Her Campus during her first semester of freshman year and has enjoyed writing about entertainment, issues uniting the nation and personal experiences. She loves getting to empower women to explore their voices and contribute their insights. Sydney is currently a junior majoring in strategic communication and pursuing minors in journalism and creative writing. She is a Norlin Scholar, an active member of PRSSA and interned with Renewable Energy Systems' marketing department over the summer. Following undergrad, she hopes to combine her passions for creative writing, public relations strategy and clean energy to ensure a brighter future for upcoming generations. While she's not writing or studying, you can find her playing music, attending concerts around Denver, shooting senior portraits, hiking at Chautauqua or spending time with her family. She hopes to publish a novel someday.