CU Top 5: Apps for The College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

So, you just got your hands on the newly-released iPhone4S eh?  I’m sure you have already synced it with your iTunes and even asked Siri a few interesting questions.  But how many amazing apps have you downloaded?  If you think that the Twitter and Facebook apps are your only essentials, think again. 

“There’s an app for _____

1. Exercising- Nike Training Club
 Want a personal trainer?  What about one on your iPhone that you take to the gym anyways?  Instead of dishing out hundreds of dollars to sweat it out with a certified hot trainer, download this free app.  You can choose exercises with minute intervals and target specific areas.  The workouts provided last 30-45 minutes and sometimes include weights and dumbbells.  Before working out, you can sync your favorite iTunes workout playlist with the app so the music plays underneath a motivational computer instructor.  Seriously, this baby works wonders.

2.  Being Artsy- Instagram
Do you spend your days on blogs looking at hipster-looking pictures?  Then try Instagram.  This free app transforms your basic picture to look like you used a vintage camera.  You can change the filter on every taken picture to make it look like you are an artsy-fartsy photographer.  You can also start your own profile and follow other people’s pictures.  That picture you took of campus today looking lamer than you thought?  Try Instragram next time.  Then pat yourself on the back.

3.  Listening to Music (that you don’t have in your iTunes)- Pandora or Spotify
If somebody puts you in charge of music at a party, I hope you have one of these apps downloaded.  Since you are probably a little weary of your playlists in your personal iTunes, you can search and create a playlist off of certain genres or artists to please everyone in the crowd.  These apps are free and incredibly helpful for party-DJing or updating your music library repertoire.

4.  TextingEmoji Plus
Sometimes you just need pictures to describe your feelings instead of words.  Downloading Emoji Plus can help you out on this one.  This “alternate keyboard” has hundreds of pictures for you to use in text messages.  While most people do not like sifting through pictures to describe a simple sentence, Emoji is something every girl needs on their phone.  Who wouldn’t want to take the time to say [eyes] [heart] [finger pointing to reader] in pictures?

5.  Facetime… Without FlawsTango
So with that new iPhone, I am sure you have attempted Facetime.  How was that experience?  If it is anything like what I usually experience, your call was probably dropped, and then you lost Wi-fi connection.  Then you tried calling back and by this point you don’t even ant to finish telling the story that was just interrupted.  If you are a victim of this scenario, try Tango.  It is Facetiming without the necessary wi-fi connection.  BBM for Facetime?  I’m in.

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.