This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This semester has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride, let me tell you!  Even though I didn’t expect my last semester of college to end the way it did, I’m still so grateful that I got to have a pretty excellent college experience up until now. It’s hard to say goodbye to my undergraduate career, but at the same time…we can’t all be in college forever. I wish I could. Believe me! So, now that I’ve done everything I can, it’s time for me to go.

Now that I’m officially graduating, you can call this article a thank you article for all the things that CU has done for me! 

How My CU Journey Started!

For those of you who don’t know, I transferred to CU Boulder from a small liberal arts College called Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts. I remember when I graduated from Beverly Hills High School in 2013 that I wanted to get as far away from Los Angeles as humanly possible. 

Those thoughts shortly lasted because it only took me a couple of months to realize that I wanted to go back to the West Coast again. Despite everything, though, Curry College will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first time that I had ever lived on the other side of the country.

I remember every weekend when my friends and I would go to Little Italy to have dinner, and then buy cannolis afterward for dessert. I also remember all the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins viewing parties that I attended. I have never screamed so much in my life rooting for those teams.

There was also that one time when I went to Boston University with my dance class for a week to attend the American College Dance Association conference. That was memorable!

The last thing that I loved about Curry College was their theatre program. That year I was in a very well done student-written/directed play as well as some other fantastic theatre productions too!

The outcome that led me to transfer out of Curry was that once the polar vortex blessed us with its prescience that winter, it just made me want to pack my bags and go home. 

So, after realizing that I didn’t want to deal with another harsh winter any more, I decided that I wanted to transfer to another school. All I knew at this time was that I wanted to go back to the West Coast, but I also didn’t want to be in LA, either. So, Luckily, I was able to find a good middle ground by going to CU Boulder.

I’m A Baby Buff Now! 

At Curry College, I was a political science major with a minor in dance. So, when I transferred to CU, I just figured it would be best for me to become a dance major so that I could continue dancing. 

I was happy being a dance major because it meant that I got to have many performance opportunities and be in student choreographed pieces, Atlas shows, and BFA/MFA works.  

Even though I loved dancing, there were times when I got lost in my major for a bit because I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my dance degree. I considered physical therapy for a bit only to realize that it wasn’t a good fit for me. Then, I thought about dance therapy as well, and that didn’t sit well with me either. So, eventually, all I knew was that I was going to need to figure out how I was going to make the most of a dance degree after I graduated.

CU Tri-Delta!

As a transfer student, I wanted to find a second home. I didn’t get to feel that at Curry, so I knew that was something I was going to want at CU.

The solution for me was that I wanted to find a group of friends that I could call my sisters. I wanted to be around a group of people that I could connect with and find a place where I belonged. Luckily, Tri-Delta became my home as a result of that, and I was a member of that chapter for four years. 

Thinking back on memories like recruitment, sisterhoods, chapter meetings, and Greek Weeks puts a smile on my face because every time I think about those things, I know that I’ll never forget those remarkable years of my life.

Even though all of these flashbacks are wonderful to look back on, my favorite memories of Tri-Delt will forever be Greek Week. 

The reason why Greek Week was one of my favorite events was because this event brought together a community. I felt that everybody’s best selves came out onto the surface, and it was magical to watch!

I will never forget the first time I choreographed for Songfest. For the year that I did it, I choreographed the jazz dance, and I helped out another girl with the advanced partner piece.

I remember having the time of my life being a choreographer for Songfest because I felt a sense of belonging, knowing that my strengths mattered to help towards a more significant cause. 

It was also during this time when I realized how much I loved putting on productions. I love the lights, camera, and action effect when the music starts. I love seeing everyone’s facial expressions and moving bodies across the stage. 

There was a magical fire and spirit inside of me that loved that pre-show rush right before the show begins. I also love it when every aspect of a show comes together, creating this mystical effect for everyone to see.

Not only that, but I absolutely loved knowing that I was able to take on huge amounts of responsibilities as well as being able to work well under pressure. It made me feel valued and alive knowing that I found this new confidence in me, and that’s because of Tri-Delta.

CU Buff Gold!

It wasn’t until my junior year at CU when I wanted to explore dance outside of my major and go back to my super technical dance roots. 

Growing up, I did a lot of competition dance up until high school. Then, when I started high school, I joined my high school dance company.

The reason why I wanted to join a dance team was that I wanted to remind myself of what it was like to be part of a team again. Besides still being a part of Tri-Delta, I also wanted to experience something different.

For so long, I’ve always dreamt of performing at huge sporting events because I’ve never had the opportunity to do that. Not only that, but I’ve never danced with pom-poms before, either. I’ve also always wanted to know what it was like to dance at a national competition like the ones in California or Florida. So, I was delighted to be a part of CU Buff Gold for a year so that I could live all of those dance dreams of mine.

In the process of it all, I met some fantastic people who I performed two numbers with that season; a jazz and hip hop dance.

The New Play Festival at CU! 

If it weren’t for the 4th Annual New Play Festival, I would’ve never known how much of an impact writing would have on my life. 

This all happened about a year ago when I decided to enroll in a Playwrighting class. The best part about this class was finding out that I could become my best self whenever I wrote plays.

I let my imagination run wild in that class. I created plays that I never thought I would have the guts to share with anyone outside of my bedroom walls.

Another unique thing that I found about myself was that I have a strong voice when I write and that I should always use that to my advantage!

Keep in mind that I’m a super senior at this point. I was not in a sorority, nor on a dance team anymore. I was still doing stage management work, however.

It was at this point when I realized that I was at a roadblock in my college life. I didn’t know what else I could be a part of until I had seen Facebook statuses on my news feed written by friends in my playwrighting class about the Fourth Annual New Play Festival.

Then, a couple of days later, I saw an email that was sent out through the Dance and Theatre chain emails about needing directors to sign up. So I was like, “why not? I have nothing to lose?” And so it starts.

I was randomly assigned to direct a play called “Thomas Gets Shot”. Let’s just say at the beginning of it all, I had no idea what to expect, but after reading the script I believed in the play’s purpose and the value that I could to make his words come to life on stage. 

After the show premiered, we received extremely positive feedback for our teamwork on the costumes, sets, lighting, the unexpected gunshots at almost every line, as well as how the overall play was looking cohesive and well thought out. 

“Thomas Gets Shot” was a performance for the books!

The Beginning of Need More Wildlife Started at CU!

Helping my amazing and beautiful best friend, Diana Alice, with her art business has also been one of the best experiences I’ve ever had in my college life. This opportunity surprised me in the best way possible, and I’m thrilled how all of it came together. 

I still don’t remember the step by step play as to how this all came together, but, all you need to know is that I’m glad to have been a part of it. 

Diana Alice helped me discover talents I didn’t even know existed in the first place. I had no idea that I could help design websites, business cards, flyers, and so much more!

Working with Diana on Need More Wildlife has been a gift and a blessing because she has made me realize my full potential; I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for her. 

Also, that lovely human has made me realize that I’m good at managing social media accounts as well as people. It was knowing this that drove me to want to be a leader on and off the stage.

The reason why I decided to be a part of Need More Wildlife was that I wanted to have more of a purpose in my life and be a part of something creative, innovative, and evolving. 

It’s crazy to think of what Need More Wildlife was like before vs. now, but at the same time, I love that Need More Wildlife is a trio that’s made up of Alice, the White Rabbit, and The Mad Hatter who take on issues such as wildlife, health, and the environment. There’s nothing better than that! 

Another cool thing is that Need More Wildlife is a 360-degree artistic experience that incorporates music, dance, art, writing, and photography.

Even though selling art is the purpose of Need More Wildlife, there’s an educational component that’s just as important for you to know about if you decide to buy a painting from Need More Wildlife. We are the whole package, and nothing less. 

In addition to that, I want everyone to know that Diana Alice is genuinely one of a kind, and everyone should follow her and her white rabbit home to Wonderland. 

For those of you who don’t know, the overall purpose of Need More Wildlife is to expose our truth through humor and brushstrokes. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the basic summary of what Need More Wildlife is about.

If any of you would like to know more about Need More Wildlife, here’s The Four Reasons Why You Need More Wildlife in Your Life Right Now! 

I hope after reading this article, that you will all decide to tumble down the rabbit hole with us!

CU Later Buffs!

Last but not least, I am so thankful that I got to be a part of Her Campus during my last year of college because I can’t imagine my life without it now. It’s one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. 

I can’t even begin to tell you all of the incredible things that I can say about Her Campus, but I’ll explain the general idea and say that Her Campus was the best college send-off gift a girl could ask for!

I’ve loved who I’ve become because of Her Campus; a strong, independent, creative, and passionate woman. Not only that, but I feel that the lessons that I’ve learned in this organization will help me when I go out into the real world. 

At the end of it all, I can’t even put into words how much I’m going to miss writing articles as well as attending chapter meetings!

Thank you so much Her Campus for everything you have done for me!

I hope you all enjoyed reading my last and final Her Campus article of my undergraduate life! So, to conclude everything, I want to say SKO BUFFS and CU Later! Cheers everyone!

Alexandra Carlson

CU Boulder '20

"Creativity is the greatest rebellion in existence." -OSHO