This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

After nearly 10 months of waiting, the COVID-19 vaccine is finally being distributed, but before you start dreaming of in-person classes and parties, you might have to wait a bit. Governor Polis of Colorado recently released a timeline outlining who is next in line for receiving the COVID-19 vaccine within the next few months. 

Right now, the vaccines are being rolled out slowly, targeting high-risk populations and those in essential positions. Many people over 70 years old, high-risk individuals, and medical workers have already received their vaccines or are in the process of getting them. Currently, vaccines are beginning to be administered to teachers and other school and school district employees. People who work for the federal and local governments are also eligible to receive the vaccine at this time.

coronavirus vaccine
Photo by Hakan Nural from Unsplash

At the moment, Coloradoans are currently entering Phase 1B.3. This means that essential workers are next in line. This includes grocery store workers, faith leaders, those who work in transportation, and many more occupations. If you work in the restaurant industry, you may also be eligible to receive your vaccine sometime this spring, as Governor Polis has recently amended the timeline to include people in these positions. People between 16 and 64 with two or more high-risk conditions are also eligible to receive their vaccine during this phase. Phase two will likely consist of more high-risk populations and people aged 60 through 64.

woman receiving swine flu vaccination in 1976  
Photo by CDC from Unsplash

As for the rest of us, we can expect a vaccine sometime in Phase 3 or 4, when the vaccine is opened up to the general public. This is estimated to be sometime this summer, towards June or July. In the meantime, we must try our best to be patient. Although things may seem optimistic at the moment, we are still in the midst of a global pandemic. Remember to continue social distancing, wearing your mask in public, and practicing basic hygiene to slow the spread. An end is in sight, but we must work together to finish out strong. 

Lily Sergi

CU Boulder '23

Lily is an 19-year-old Sophmore at CU Boulder who is currently majoring in journalism with hopes of minoring in political science. Lily loves to write, a passion that first started writing One Direction fan-fiction. Now, she prefers to write articles about current events and politics, (although she still obsesses over Harry Styles). Lily also loves fashion, travel, online shopping and books/movies.
Sko Buffs!