This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Sometimes, when you look at costumes and fashion side by side, there can be a lot of similarities. Is there a line that can be crossed between these two things? Is there a separation? All I do know is that costumes have become some of the biggest fashion staples. Popular movies and tv shows like Clueless and Euphoria have dictated our latest fashion trends over the last couple of years (including right now in 2020). Styles from Clueless and Euphoria have swept the runway, can be worn into everyday wear, and made into Halloween costumes. 

When reading this article, think about what the definition of costumes and fashion is. When I think about costumes, I often refer to a particular style of clothing worn to portray a character in theatrical performances for the stage, film, or television. Fashion, on the other hand, is a popular aesthetic of expression at a specific time and in a certain context, in my opinion. In this listicle, I am going to tell you the differences between costumes vs. fashion and how costumes have made some of the most iconic and classic fashion trends of the 21st century.

Clueless 

Clueless is a classic coming of age story made in 1995 that depicts the life of people living in Beverly Hills. Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone, is one of the main characters in the movie. The fashion of Cher’s matching plaid outfits and knee-high socks became a fashion phenomenon on the runway, fashion magazines, and women’s day to day wear. The best part is that all ages can wear these styles. 

Cher Horowitz Inspired on the Runway

The Fall 2018 Versace Runway show in Milan conveyed this runway look has a contemporary twist on a classic and iconic look. Mixed blue and yellow plaid print, tights instead of high knee socks, and steampunk styled close-toed platforms created an edgier look based on Cher’s classic look. 

Cher Horowitz Day to Day Style 

Cher’s yellow plaid print can now be worn as dresses, shirts, shoes, and of course, the classic yellow plaid skirt! Stores like Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, Top Shop, Pretty Little Thing, Shein, and Misguided carry Cher’s classic print. The concept of matching plaid is on a whole other level. Now, more than ever, you can get the Cher-post-1995 look. 

Cher Horowitz as worn by Celebrities 

This is Katy Perry’s modern-day interpretation of the 90’s classic trend. Going to events, Katy Perry is able to bring out her inner 90’s in a 2020’s way. 

Clueless Halloween Costumes

Cher’s plaid look can be worn as a Halloween costume. It could be an individual look or a girl group costume. For those who want to dress up in plaid for one night, but not for a lifetime, you can have this fashion option in the palm of your hands. 

Euphoria 

Euphoria, a popular tv show on HBO, follows a group of Gen Z teenagers in high school. The show deals with subjects of addiction, depression, and suicide. The costumes in Euphoria became popular fashion trends of streetwear during the day. This includes vibrant makeup and a retro/futuristic style that can be worn on the streets, the runway, and for going out. These styles can be for all ages depending on what aspect of Euphoria you take on it. 

Euphoria in the Daylight 

Rue Bennet, played by Zendaya, is one of the main characters in the show who struggles with addiction. Zendaya’s costume in the show is tomboy chic with bits of athleisure. Her costume has made casual and tomboy come back onto the shelves. Zendaya’s character’s look in the show can be purchased at Urban Outfitters, H&M, ASOS, and any shoe store that sells Converse. Rue’s costume is not the only one that has made a fashion-forward statement. Many of the other characters’ costumes have also made popular trends. 

Euphoria from Night to Day

Maddy Perez and Kat’s school outfits, played by Alexa Demie and Barbie Ferreria, are pragmatic from day to night. All of these clothes can be styled with accessories, makeup, and jackets that can make these costumes versatile. Look-alikes can be bought in stores like H&M, ASOS, Forever 21, and I.Am.Gia. These looks are all the rage right now from this show and have helped make fashion for 2020. 

Celebrities Inspired By Euphoria 

Jules, played by Hunter Schafer, was at New York Fashion Week 2019 wearing a colorful outfit with fringe, an oversized coat, and thigh-high socks. In her Instagram post, she writes about her costume as Jules in the show had transcribed her style to a high fashion event! Hunter shows an example of when you can become your character on and off the camera. 

Euphoria on the Runway

Makeup from Euphoria has been inspiration for many Fashion Runway looks. Gems, crystals, vibrant eyeshadows, bright eyeliners, and designs on the face have been fashion’s rave to make the most extravagant outfits for the last year. Makeup, like costumes and fashion, can make a complete look come to life. There is also a line between costume makeup and fashion makeup, but it crosses with Euphoria. Costume makeup tends to be more theatrical and stage-like, while Fashion makeup can be more practical and yet mystical at the same time. In this case though, the grey line is crossed and can be used in both scenarios. 

Euphoria for Halloween

What’s better than dressing up like the Euphoria characters for Halloween? I mean, in a lot of ways, seeing the clothes on Euphoria is kind of like being a part of Halloween in every episode.

Costumes turned into fashion has been done long before I even wrote about this. I believe these two forms of fashion in TV entertainment were the most obvious in stating my case. The line between costumes and fashion will always be thin, but the exciting thing is that we can pull from pop culture and make it our own. That’s the beauty of costumes and fashion, being able to stylize your personality by what you wear and how you want people to see you in public. 

Alexandra Carlson

CU Boulder '20

"Creativity is the greatest rebellion in existence." -OSHO
Sko Buffs!