Cookies to Bake Your Loved Ones This Valentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Valentine’s Day is so fun. Pink and red everything surrounds us, and it’s literally the holiday of love. While many aren’t fond of the Hallmark holiday, many are fond of food. So, even if you’re skeptical of all things Valentine’s, you have no reason to be skeptical of this article. Below are delicious cookies you can bake your loved ones this February and for many other occasions. 

Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies

These are my absolute favorite cookies in the entire world. I look forward to them every Valentine’s Day, and I eventually took it upon myself to learn how to make these because I just could not wait 365 days to eat them. They’re super simple to make but are a definite show-stopper. For a more in-depth recipe, go here.

You will need:

• A box of strawberry cake mix
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 cup of white chocolate chips
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ cup of vegetable oil
  • A splash of vanilla extract

To make them:

Start by preheating your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet. Then, mix your wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients. After, add your dry ingredients into the wet mixture slowly. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips. Once your dough is prepared, form your cookies by using an ice-cream scoop. Bake for 9-10 minutes and voila. Allow to cool and enjoy the yummiest cookie you will ever try.

Thumbprint Cookies

For some odd reason, Valentine’s Day and thumbprint cookies are synonymous to me. While I can’t explain it, I can explain that these hold lots of nostalgia for me, and simply bring me so much joy. They can be made with so many different jams, Hershey’s kisses, or truly whatever your heart desires but I’m going to go with a classic strawberry jam. You can also find the recipe here.

You will need: 

• 2 ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup of white sugar
  • ⅓ cup of lightly-packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 sticks of unsalted butter
  • An egg yolk
  • A splash of vanilla
  • ⅓ cup of your jam of choice

To prepare, start by creaming your butter. Then, gradually add your sugars and mix until well-combined. Add the yolk and vanilla and mix until incorporated. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients. In three separate parts, add your dry ingredients to the wet and mix until your dough comes together. Trust me, this will take a while. Form your dough into balls and add an indent with your thumb or the back of a spoon. Pop them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Before freezing, you can also roll your balls into some sugar but I choose not to.

Once chilled, preheat your oven to 375°F. While the oven preheats, warm your jam in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Then, place it in the indent you made. Bake your cookies for approximately 11 minutes or until slightly golden. Cool and enjoy!

Chocolate Chunk Cookies

These chocolate chip cookies are the best ones I’ve ever had. I’m not the best at making them, but I refuse to give up because I just love chocolate chip cookies. This recipe is actually pretty foolproof but tastes delicious. A chocolate chunk cookie is such a classic and such an easy way to show someone you care. You can find the recipe here.

You will need:

• 2 ¾  cups of flour 
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 1 cup of lightly-packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 2 eggs
  • A splash of vanilla
  • 1 cup of chocolate chunks

To make these, start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Chop your cold butter. Then, beat with your sugars for about 10 minutes. Then, add in your eggs and vanilla. Follow by mixing in your dry ingredients. Lastly, fold in your chocolate chunks. Bake for 16-20 minutes, and allow to fully cool. Then, enjoy!

Cut Out Cookies 

These are the perfect cookies if you want to bake something not too sweet but still yummy. This shortbread base is perfect alone, but you can also top it with frosting or cookie icing for a little extra something. These are also the perfect cookie to decorate with friends, a boo thing, or if you’re just looking for a fun Valentine’s activity. For this cookie recipe, go here.

You will need:

• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup of powdered sugar
  • A pinch of salt
  • 2 sticks of room-temperature butter
  • A splash of vanilla

Start by creaming your butter and sugar together for about two minutes. Add your vanilla. Then, gradually mix in your flour until combined. Cover your dough in plastic wrap and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes. Once chilled, roll out your dough and cut it using your cookie-cutter of choice. Preheat your oven to 350°F. While that is warming up, place your cookies back in the freezer for 10 minutes. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until your edges become a nice golden brown. Allow them to fully cool, especially if you plan on decorating them.

Honorable Mention: Oreo Truffles

I discovered this no-bake recipe at a birthday party in the fifth grade and it has been my go-to treat for absolutely any occasion since. They are so simple to make and are a total hit. You can shape them however you want, making them very versatile. I’m sure you can find a million recipes on the internet, but I am going off the memory of 10-year-old me because she has never failed me.

You will need:

• A package of Oreos (Any kind you want) 
  • A block of cream cheese
  • Candy melts 
  • Sprinkles (If you’d like)

Yep. That’s it. That is all you need. The way I was taught, you’re supposed to crush up nine Oreos and save for garnish, but I honestly just eat these. After you’ve enjoyed an afternoon snack, crush up your remaining Oreos as finely as you can. Then, mix with the block of cream cheese until a dough is formed. Form into balls and dip into melted candy melts. Decorate as you please. Then, simply chill for one hour, and there you have it – the easiest dessert of your life. 

These baked goods all make wonderful Valentine’s Day gifts. Sure, maybe baking something is a little bit above and beyond, but it is such a wholesome and thoughtful way to show your loved ones how much you care. Let us know which recipe was your favorite.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.