This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I’m sure many of you have heard of the new Netflix show ‘Ginny & Georgia’. I first learned about it through TikTok and I immediately wanted to see what the hype was about. I started watching it and finished it within about a week, and I can honestly say that this series was nothing like I expected it to be. A fantastic cast, a fitting soundtrack, and a fascinating plot all made for a whirlwind of a series.

The plot of the show revolves around a mother-daughter relationship: Ginny the 15-year-old daughter and Georgia the 30-year-old mother. After the sudden passing of her husband, Georgia moves Ginny, along with Ginny’s younger brother Austin, to Wellsbury, Massachusetts for a fresh start. As the characters start making connections and trying to fit into the new town, each of their stories, specifically Georgia’s, is unraveled, giving us a deeper insight into what makes the character who she is. Ginny, for the first time in her life, makes friends and has a love interest, or two, actually. As the show progresses, their lives diverge into two separate roads, much like their relationship. It provokes so much emotion at once; anger, sadness, sympathy, fear. After all the craziness in this family’s lives, we are left with a cliffhanger ending, leaving the rest up to our imagination (at least until season two is approved). 

A torn pink paper heart strung on white string with a black background.
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash
In addition to the mind-boggling plot, ‘Ginny & Georgia’ touches on many common issues in today’s society, such as racism, sexism, and mental illness. The series shines a light on discovering one’s own identity, specifically through Ginny’s character, who faces intersectionality as a half-black, half-white woman who doesn’t feel like she belongs anywhere until she comes to Wellsbury. It’s powerful watching her character express her feelings and hold others accountable for their actions, all while struggling to figure out who she really is.

I would recommend the show ‘Ginny & Georgia’ in a heartbeat. Although it wasn’t the happy, perfect, “sunshine and rainbows” kind of show that I thought it would be, it is 100% worth the 10 hours I spent staring at my laptop watching it. I am so excited for a second season to be approved and I can’t wait to see what happens next. If you are interested in watching the show, you can find it on Netflix today!

Masha Gradushy

CU Boulder '22

Masha is the Editor-in-Chief of HCCU and is a senior at CU Boulder majoring in Finance. When she's not doing school work or writing articles, you can probably find her working out, drinking an iced coffee, or scrolling through TikTok. She hopes you enjoy her content!
Sko Buffs!