This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

To those of you that have been on edge, feeling the weight of the entire world’s greed and anger on your back. To those of you who had voted and screamed with fear in your heart and with compassion in your intention. To those of you who dream of a world that accepts our whole being…bask in the sun today. It’s shining in hope and progress.

In the beautiful state of Colorado, we all shared victory on night one of Election Night, after all of our ballots were counted. Once again, we decided to lead the country in progressiveness and voted for justice and dignity for all of our neighbors. While the entire ballot was filled with critical propositions and policy, Colorado made a statement on Proposition 115. So, let’s talk about it. 

Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash
Colorado Proposition 115 is detailed on the ballot asking, “Shall there be a change to the Colorado Revised Statutes concerning prohibiting an abortion when the probable gestational age of the fetus is at least twenty-two weeks, and, in connection therewith, making it a misdemeanor punishable by a fine to perform or attempt to perform a prohibited abortion,” and the people of this beautiful state kindly said, “No.” 

In simpler words, the Proposition wished to ban any and all abortions after a pregnancy reaches twenty-two weeks. This would essentially force women to continue a pregnancy with no exceptions for risks to her health, a lethal fetal diagnosis, or even in cases of rape. Not only that, but it proposed to punish those involved in an attempted abortion with a misdemeanor and monetary fine. The facts of Proposition 115 are cruel and unjust to people who may go through pregnancy. It is dangerous for so many reasons, and thank goodness Colorado knew better. 

Banning abortion, to any degree, does not discourage abortions, it simply eliminates the option of safe abortion. In this case, twenty-two weeks is fairly far along, so let’s start there, with the thought that ran through many voter’s minds, “That is so far along, why would someone need an abortion, and why should they be allowed to have one even when the fetus is over five months?” In actuality, abortion later in pregnancy is a serious and rare medical procedure that represents about 1% of all abortion in the United States. Most situations include a mother in danger for her own health or her own life. Seriously, imagine the heartbreak and worry of needing one so desperately, and not being able to access a procedure that is clean, safe, and professional – no one deserves that and no one should be able to impose that pain on another human being. 

Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels
Colorado continues to be one of only seven states in the country that has no limitations to reproductive health care, as we very much should! In the past twelve years alone, Coloradans have rejected abortion bans at the ballot box not once, not twice, but three times! Maybe the politicians and “Pro-Life” special interest groups will begin to get the hint, that in this state we believe in personal autonomy, choice, and progress. We understand that pregnancy is unique to every individual and that every individual deserves respect. We honor the boundaries between person and state, and trust people to make the decisions that are most beneficial to them, on their own terms and conditions. The bottom line is that Colorado refuses to be a place where its people do not feel represented or safe. No one should have to live in fear of pregnancy due to inadequate healthcare resources. No one should have to travel elsewhere to receive a life-saving procedure, just to avoid criminal consequences. 

My intention here is this: For all of us to mature, learn, and prosper into our futures. Then, someday when I have a daughter because I chose to have a child, I’ll tell her about these constant attempts from politicians and organizations to put a limit on the freedom we have, and I’ll say, “…but we won.” Colorado, we won. We win when we stand together, we win when we defend one another, and we win when we all are dignified and free. 

Gabriela Guevara

CU Boulder '23

I am passionate about happiness and the freedom for people to feel love. As I am working towards a degree in Political Science and Ethnic Studies, & eventually law, I hope to inspire people to reflect, learn, and spread light. Thank you for reading my words! xoxo
Sko Buffs!