Culture > News

A Coloradan’s Response to the Boulder Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This article was originally published on March 26, 2021. Boulder faced this strategy on March 22, 2021. 

I live less than a mile away from the King Soopers on Table Mesa where 10 people tragically and needlessly lost their lives on March 22. I heard the sirens and helicopters from my bedroom before I even knew what was going on. When I eventually learned about the situation, my first response should have been fear. I should have been shocked at the news. Instead, I just sighed and thought, “Here we go again.”

I moved to Colorado in 2005, when I was just five years old. In that time, there have been 11 shootings, several of them close to home. My house is about six miles away from the Aurora movie theater where the infamous shooting took place, and my parents knew a few of the people who died. My middle school went under lockdown during the Arapahoe High School shooting, where I started crying uncontrollably because I didn’t know the danger was not at my school. I watched the news anxiously as the STEM School shooting took place a few cities over my senior year, feeling a pit in my stomach as I learned a fellow senior died just weeks before graduation.

This is not new to me. 

Woman sitting alone
Photo by Alex Green from Pexels
I went to that King Soopers often. I can tell you what you can find in each aisle. It is chilling to think of how easily I could have been there that afternoon. I am still dealing with all of the emotions that come with this, because no one exactly teaches you how to deal with this type of trauma.

I feel so much about this situation. I’m scared, just to go to the grocery store now. I’m sad that my community lost 10 of its members who were just trying to do their weekly shopping. Mostly, though, I’m angry. Because this never should have happened in the first place.

I was born the year after the Columbine shooting, which means I have never lived in a world where shootings were not common events. For a while, growing up, I would hear about a new shooting and think, “This is it. This one will lead to change.” I’ve always been wrong.

I feel hopeless writing this because I don’t have the answers. I don’t know how we’re supposed to handle this, and I don’t know what we can do to get the change we desperately need. All I know is that I’m taking this one day at a time. 

Take breaks from the news, hug your friends, and cope however you need to. Please, also, take advantage of the many resources CU and the city of Boulder have to offer. You are not in this alone, and we will grieve and take care of each other through this difficult time.

I’m hoping that we will see gun regulation soon and no one will have to fear going to normal places ever again. 

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.
Kelley is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus CU Boulder. She is currently a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in sports media. In her free time, she likes to workout at her local CrossFit gym, hang out at coffee shops, and explore the mountains.