This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I’m sure that a lot of us are feeling bummed about the pandemic interrupting our spooky season plans, but have no fear! There are still plenty of ways to enjoy Halloween in 2020. Check out 10 of my favorite social-distanced Halloween plans!

Spooky movie night.

Grab your roommates or friends, popcorn, and all of the on-sale Halloween candy to watch some scary movies! Not your thing? There are plenty of lighter movies, like “Charlie Brown”, that will get you just as much in the spirit. You can use Skype or some new Netflix/Disney+ features to do this virtually, too!

Run or walk a Halloween-themed 5K.

5Ks are generally a safe, outdoor way to be around people (socially distanced!) and move your body. Plenty of 5Ks have virtual options, too, so you can do your workout whenever and wherever you want.

Go to a pumpkin patch.

I don’t know about you, but pumpkin patches are probably my favorite thing about fall! Luckily, even with covid, a lot of them are still open (with reservations). Grab your friends, explore a corn maze, and look for some great pumpkins so that you can do the next step!

Carve a jack-o-lantern.

Find some cute designs here, make up your own unique design, or go with the classic jack-o-lantern face. Get together with your roommates or call some friends on Zoom and have a pumpkin carving contest! Tip: carve your pumpkin from the bottom instead of the top so that it won’t rot as quickly.

Dress up.

You are never too old to dress up for Halloween, and it can be fun to throw on a costume even if you aren’t going out. Check out Target or a thrift store for some cheap and easy ways to put together a costume, or go with a classic onesie to feel comfortable all night long.

Cook some fall food.

There are so many amazing flavors in season right now–pumpkin, apple, and cinnamon, just to name a few! Check out some of our past articles or look up fall recipes to make your own taste of fall. If you’re in a dorm, check out this pumpkin spice mug cake that you can make in your microwave

Watch Halloween episodes of your favorite TV shows.

“The Simpsons”, “Friends”, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”, even some of your childhood favorites like “Spongebob” or “Phineas and Ferb”–they all have some pretty great Halloween specials! Put on Netflix and enjoy rewatching all of your favorite spooky episodes.

Make a Halloween craft.

From coloring pages to a DIY costume, Pinterest has tons of resources for you to do a fun craft. Have fun decorating your dorm room or apartment so that all your neighbors know you’re in the Halloween spirit!

Try a Halloween makeup or nail look.

Check out Youtube for some awesome makeup and nail tutorials, or make up your own using your favorite fall colors. Whether you prefer a touch of orange eye shadow or a completely terrifying design, there are enough possibilities for everyone to find their favorite Halloween look.

Make your favorite fall drink.

What better way to wrap up spooky season than by whipping up your favorite fall drink and doing some self-care? Watch TV, read a good book, put on a face mask, or maybe even go over your plan to vote in November.

I hope some of these ideas inspired you to go enjoy Halloween, even in a pandemic! Stay safe and spooky everyone.

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.
Sko Buffs!