Catwalk to CU: The Mom Look, College Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Remember the days you and your friends would pull your jeans up like your mothers and laugh in the mirror at how silly you all looked? The younger you would be appalled because the mom butt is back. High wasted denim shorts is this summers essential item and with temperatures still soaring the look is perfect for these first weeks of school.   A versatile addition to your wardrobe, you can wear them with a cute blouse tucked in or add a thin belt to accentuate your waistline.  The best part about this adorable wardrobe necessity is that it’s cheap, simple and fun to create.  Why spend a fortune on a pair of store bought denim shorts when you can easily crawl to the back of the closet and pull out an authentic old pair of jeans that work perfect for the job.  Here are 5 easy steps for transforming an old pair of jeans into a flattering pair of shorts that’ll quickly become your favorite new piece.

1. Put them on inside-out, button them up, and mark the length you want with a washable marker on the back and in the front.
2. Once you have the marks take them off and then cut them, making sure they meet at the same length at the inner thigh.
3. If you want to add even more flare you can bleach them or stud them!
4. Then, take the scissor blade to the shorts to create the distressed look.
5. Wash them to allow the rips to widen a bit.
6. And lastly, enjoy your new and improved mom butt ;) 

Elana Starlord is  a junior at the University of Colorado.  She is majoring in Broadcast News and minoring in Technology, Arts and Media.  During her time at CU she has been the social chair of the CU Club Tennis team and a contributing writer for the University's student newspaper.  Elana loves spending time in the mountains, snowboarding and exploring the Colorado outdoors.  Elana spent summer 2011 in LA as a marketing/events intern at Participant Media.  Currently, she is interning at 303 Magazine in Denver and reports annually for the Boulder International Film Festival.  Whenever Elana has spare time she takes advantage of it by traveling with friends and family.  
Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.