Cameras & Catwalks: Conversations With ‘America’s Next Top Model’ Winner CariDee English

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Premiering in 2003, America’s Next Top Model (ANTM) is a reality modeling competition series that ran for twenty-four seasons and was created by Tyra Banks. Contestants on the show were required to compete in various photoshoots and runway challenges for the chance to sign with a top modeling agency and win other prizes. Defying the odds and breaking boundaries, CariDee English, the winner of ANTM Cycle 7, is not just another face in the fashion world. Her story is one of resilience, versatility, and empowerment—transcending the glitz and glamor of the modeling industry to inspire and impact lives. I had the exciting opportunity to interview her about her experience on the series and her life as a professional model and photographer in the years that followed.

One of the many prizes CariDee English won on ‘ANTM’ was a feature in Seventeen Magazine.

CariDee English’s journey began with a dream that seemed impossible at the time. Growing up with psoriasis, the chance of working in an industry where appearance is heavily scrutinized was slim. However, the numerous rejections she faced from agencies only fueled her determination and, as a result of her success, English has been a driving force in the redefinition of beauty standards in the modeling industry. 

Winning “America’s Next Top Model” was a life-changing moment for English and took her from her humble life in North Dakota to the bustling streets of New York City, where she signed with prestigious modeling agency, Elite Model Management. Her victory was more than just a career breakthrough for her, it was a moment of vindication and validation. “I made it happen and it was a big, ‘F*ck you!’ to the haters and a big ‘F*ck yeah!’ to me and the ones who loved and supported me,” she said.

English’s journey on ANTM was not without its challenges though, and she vividly recalls her favorite and least favorite challenges. The Angelina and Brad Pitt photoshoot stands out as a personal highlight, as she had to tap into her theatrical background and passion for performance to achieve the images that were captured. “It’s never about looking pretty, getting attention, or wearing fashionable clothes, it’s all about getting to perform which, for a lack of better words, is what gets me off,” she said. However, she harbors strong disdain for the wobbly runway and cold pool shoots, viewing them as contrived for television drama rather than genuine modeling challenges. Despite the drama, English carries no regrets from her ANTM experience, embracing her philosophy of living life without looking back.

A collection of images from CariDee English’s experience on ‘ANTM’ Cycle 7.

English highlights her role as a global ambassador for psoriasis as her most significant modeling job during her career. Her role as ambassador allowed her to use her platform for a greater cause, raise awareness, and act as a voice for those struggling with the condition. “It feels good because I know if something happened to me tomorrow, I left the world a better place. Not because I won ANTM, but because I took psoriasis and put it on the map,” she said. For English, being a role model and advocate holds more significance than any modeling assignment she’s received.

When asked about challenges of modeling, English candidly addressed the ageism that plagues the industry, focusing on the stark contrast between societal expectations for women and men as they age. While reminiscing on her early years, she said, “…I thought the older I got, the less valuable I became. But I’ve started to move past this and realize that women can age any way we want to and get paid at any age we want to.” English is committed to breaking these norms and strongly encourages others to embrace their uniqueness. Her advice to aspiring models is straightforward: do not compare yourself to others. “Comparison is the thief of joy,” she said simply.

As for her photographic career, she is entirely self-taught, but has gathered creative inspiration from photographers like Annie Leibovitz, who excel in portraiture. English’s style can be described as human interest with a particular focus on celebrating the beauty of women. “Not trying to ‘man bash’, but women are f*cking gorgeous and every woman has a supermodel quality,” she said. Her top tips for future photographers are to learn your craft and equipment, shoot what makes you happy, and take pride in your work.

English’s diverse career interests extend beyond modeling and photography into the world of music as well. She previously played in a band as a singer, drummer, and guitar player and recently started teasing new music on Instagram. For her, life is about experiencing a multitude of passions and embracing the unpredictability of it all. “Life is not about mastering, it’s about experiencing,” she said.

A video of CariDee English practicing her drumming skills.

Despite her success, English’s journey has not been without personal struggles. Her own experiences with mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic have made her an advocate for seeking help when needed. “I know what it’s like to live with low self-esteem, even being an America’s Next Top Model Winner,” she said, “That sh*t was just a bandaid on a bullet wound.” She emphasized the importance of mental health, therapy, and a strong support system in overcoming low self-esteem and life’s challenges.

For young women who are about to enter the workforce, English’s words of wisdom include trusting their instincts and staying true to themselves. She advises against excessive drinking or dependence on vices and instead emphasizes the importance of staying vigilant in a world where women must be constantly prepared for potential dangers. She encourages women not to be burdened by regrets and to be unapologetically themselves.

CariDee English is not just a supermodel and “America’s Next Top Model” winner; she is a fierce advocate, a talented photographer, a rockstar musician, and an inspiration to all women. Her journey from a small town to the global stage is a testament to her resilience, authenticity, and unapologetic embrace of each of life’s experiences. “…Just know what you want and go for it,” she said, “All you have to do is live true to yourself.”

Want to read more about her experiences working as a professional model and photographer and further details of her time on “America’s Next Top Model”? Click here for our full interview transcript!

Kristee Mikulski is a writer and member of the social media team at the Her Campus CU Boulder chapter. In her articles, she will frequently write about her own personal experiences, but also covers topics such as mental health, entertainment, celebrity profiles, and local life. Other than her involvement with Her Campus, Kristee works as a student ambassador for McGraw-Hill Education (MHE), a campus ambassador for Bubble Skincare, and as a freelance photographer and social media manager. She also has over fifteen years of professional work experience in various fields ranging from veterinary medicine to the cannabis industry. She is currently a junior at CU Boulder, majoring in Strategic Communications with a focus in Advertising Strategy and minoring in Media Production. When she’s not writing for Her Campus or working on homework, Kristee enjoys binge-watching her favorite TV shows, testing out new baking recipes, and spending quality time with her husband (Andy) and two dogs (Ollie and Marley). She also has a passion for various forms of creative self-expression including dance, poetry, music, and art. On campus, you’re most likely to spot her studying in Norlin Library or one of the many college coffee shops.