This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s that time of year. I can’t deny it. You probably can’t deny it either. It’s the season of burnout. Recently, I’ve been feeling the most burnout that I’ve felt in many semesters. Call it senioritis, call it overworking myself-but there’s no tiptoeing around the fact: I am burnt out and it’s very real. 

If you’re not familiar with burnout, it is when school, work, and life in general start to run you down so much you start to feel worn out or exhausted from the constant stress of everyday life. It can come in so many different forms. Right now, I’m personally exhausted from constant schoolwork and my part-time job, especially since I am graduating in less than a month (that felt so weird to write, oh my god). 

If you find yourself feeling this same way, especially with finals and summer just around the corner, you’re not alone. If you were to ask almost anyone in your classes or job, they would probably say the exact same thing. There are some things I would suggest that definitely helps with the symptoms of being burnt out:

Give yourself some alone time! 

Work into your schedule some time to just maybe cook yourself a nice meal, watch some Netflix, or take a nice, long shower. This is so incredibly important for not only your mental health but also your physical health.

Get enough sleep.

While this can be difficult with constant homework or work in general, it’s so important to get quality sleep. I can’t tell you how many times I have woken up in the morning feeling drained and getting through the day without copious amounts of caffeine felt almost impossible. Everyone needs different amounts of sleep but listen to your body.

Hang out with some quality friends.

Making sure that you are surrounding yourself with quality friends that fill your cup, instead of emptying it is key. These people should give you support and encouragement to get through the burnout. Try going on a walk or a fun picnic! 

Don’t Procrastinate.

As hard as it may sound, and as hypocritical as I sound because I definitely procrastinate sometimes, I know that I feel so good when I get work done early. I’m not saying you have to start homework weeks in advance, making sure you’re giving yourself enough time to give your best foot forward is key.

The school year is almost over and you’re almost done with schoolwork! Give yourself some grace during these stressful times and know that, ultimately, you will be okay in the end. If you need some mental health resources during these times, check out CAPS and NAMI Boulder.

Ivie Maher

CU Boulder '23

Ivie is a senior studying political science. She loves dogs, bunnies, and ice cream. She loves the outdoors and feels right at home here in the mountains. You can catch her cooking green bean casserole (her favorite), finding new music, or writing her newest article.