Boulderland – Next Stop Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Boulderland – Next Stop Coffee

Who doesn’t love coffee? That’s right, no one. And who doesn’t love a great insta photo op? Again, no one. We’ve got a list of the best local coffee shops within and around Boulderland. Not only will they give you the perfect opportunity to take a new Facebook profile pic, but they all have delicious treats and drinks to satisfy all your caffeine cravings.

#1 Alpine Modern Cafe → 904 College Ave Boulder, CO 80302

A local favorite located right off campus on college ave, Alpine Modern is known for it’s delicious avocado toast and simply delicious coffee menu. Alpine keeps it simple, and Boulder loves them for it.  HC CU’s menu suggestion?  The Quinoa Lentil Bowl with a classic Macchiato, or a Quiet Meadows for the tea lovers out there.

#2 Proper Grounds Coffee and Cocktails  → 400 W. South Boulder Rd Lafayette, CO 80026

Located a quick 15 minutes from BoCo, Proper Grounds is an old friend for Lafayette locals that just got an upgrade. This cute coffee shop has a beautiful new location, and goes from an uplifting workspace in the day to a fun and flirty hot spot at night. Whether you’re here for a monday morning macchiato or wine wednesday, you’re in the right spot. Our favs off the menu? A classic iced chai, or iced vanilla latte, and a cream puff.

#3 Wonder Press → 946 Pearl St, Boulder, CO 80302

Conveniently tucked away on West End Pearl Street, Wonder is Boulder’s hottest juice spot, and you can read more about the badass ladies that run it here. Our go-to juices? The classic, OJ, bright and the perfect pick-me-up at any time of day. For a twist on the straight-up juice classic: Ruby. Pure grapefruit, and purely delicious. Craving chocolate? Try the Crave You! Outside of their fridge of juices & nut milks, try the Golden Latte or the Banana Chip Smoothie, your belly & your body will be grateful for all the goodness. Check out the walls for some BEYOND aesthetically pleasing decor to snap and post on your Insta ASAP. Hold your OJ loud & proud to add some color to the chic style that Wonder has flawlessly whirled together to create a calm, cool, and oh-so-Boulder environment.

#4 Black Eye Coffee → CAP HILL 800 SHERMAN ST. DENVER, CO or LOHI 3408 NAVAJO ST. DENVER, CO

A little bit of a treck from Boulder, but well worth the drive, Black Eye coffee has two fantastic locations in downtown Denver. The LoHi location embodies the perfect local coffee shop vibe, with some yummy snacks and plenty of coffee and tea options.  Their Cap Hill location doubles as a coffee shop and restaurant, with a  wide variety of snacks, meals, coffee and happy hour options. Not to mention the awesome LED signs in the bathrooms.

For LoHi, we recommend the house oatmeal with a classic iced coffee. When it comes to Cap Hill, the almond french toast is to die for, pair that with a camp white and you’ll be in marshmallow heaven.  

LoHi

Cap Hill

#5 Amethyst Coffee → 1111 broadway st, suite 101 Denver, CO

While we are on the subject of downtown coffee locations, we can’t miss this gem. Amethyst embodies the picture perfect coffee shop, full of greenery and perfect white walls. This local hot spot comes with a fun twist, a menu full of magical coffee concoctions, and they all taste just as good as they sound. Our favorites off the specialties menu; The Beluga Mermaid, Pink Drink Handsome, and the Whack & Unwrap.  Speaking as chai enthusiasts, the iced chai at Amethyst is the best we’ve ever had. And for those of you looking for a really good time, they’ve also got a little bar tucked away in the corner of this cozy and bright space.

#6 The Point → 1101 13th St, Boulder, CO 80302

Right across from The Corner on The Hill, The Point is the perfect tucked away coffee joint. Grab your sunnies & take your laptop out on their back patio. You’ll have a few of the mountains, fairly quiet surroundings, and a prime spot for people watching. They have plenty of food selections, stellar kombucha (try the Rose Bud!), and our favorite is their iced almond milk latte. For some reason, it’s just better than all the rest. Boulder will feel a bit smaller after you spend a couple hours nestled in this spot & see how the regulars have those classic Boulder grins that remind you why you love the Boulder Bubble oh-so-very-much.

#7 Innisfree Poetry Bookstore & Cafe → 1301 Pennsylvania Ave, Boulder, CO 80302

Innisfree is a classic & now a Boulder staple. In the spot where Buchanan’s once stood is Innisfree, Buchanan’s next door neighbor, but they shared the same owners, & now we can all enjoy quality coffee, breakfast sandwiches, and poetry readings in one, big open space. The environment is welcoming, the people are friendly, the community has a racing heartbeat unlike most coffee shops you come across. Grab a latte, it’ll probably be the size of your face, & stay awhile!

#8 Aviano Coffee →  244 Detroit St, Denver, CO 80206

Okay. Hands down. Best coffee you’ll ever have, ladies. Next time you’re out shopping in Cherry Creek, cross the street from Urban Outfitters, walk a couple blocks, and look to your right. There it is. The answer to all of your problems. The black and white decor and urban, yet musky, vibe is unique to Aviano, and even the baristas that take your order will fit in the picture. The world seems to slow down when we step into Aviano, so go check it out & see if you agree!

#9 The Laughing Goat Coffeehouse → 1709 Pearl St, Boulder, OR Norlin Library Commons

The easiest coffee shop around is located in Norlin, and yes, it’s worth the terrible library lighting and that silence that somehow seeps into your soul, causing stress for no reason whatsoever. They have an abundance of study snacks, and the lighting outside by the black tables is actually superb.

Lauren is currently majoring in Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences and minoring in Business in the Leeds School of Business, Leadership in the LSM Program, and Women and Gender Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Colorado Boulder. On campus Lauren currently holds the position of Her Campus CU Boulder's Chapter President and Campus Correspondent. She also acts as an Aerie Real on campus ambassador, held the position of  Victoria's Secret PINK Campus Rep for CU for the previous two years, and acts as the social media chairman and event coordinator for the PSICHI Psychology Honors Club within CU's Psychology department.  Outside of school Lauren founded and owns Empyreal Photography. When she's not looking through a camera lens or somewhere drinking chai, you can probably find her in a yoga class, petting a dog, or daydreaming about New York City.