This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We all love our eco-friendly Boulder. Here at CU, we take pride in being one of the “greenest” schools in the nation. We see most Coloradans doing their part everyday, especially when it comes to transportation. More and more people are carpooling, using public transportation, walking, skateboarding and biking to work and school every day.

Of course, these modes of transportation are not solely to reduce emissions in the environment for everyone. It is also about convenience, which is understandable. Biking to school has many advantages over walking: you can sleep in later because you get to class faster, you are getting more exercise than walking, and you might get to class on time more often than your walking classmates.

Boulder has these speeding bikers just about everywhere you go, especially on campus. We know that you bikers are in a hurry just as us walkers are, but please try to be courteous to those pedestrians, whom you occasionally disregard. Pedestrians should walk on their side of the Broadway path for you; in return, on campus you should follow some basic etiquette as well.

Do Not Speed Down Campus Pathways
Walkers are not going the same speed as you. In between classes, when paths are the most crowded, please do not speed through a pack of students. We are in a hurry too and some of us cannot afford to drop all of our school stuff, often including computers, before class. Furthermore, it is very stressful trying to avoid a bike speeding in your direction, so please just be more careful.

If you are going to Act Like a Car, Then Obey the Rules those Cars do
Pathways on campus should mainly be for walkers. The occasional cross through of a biker is OK, but you should try to stay on the roads. This might seem like the longer way, but you have the advantage of a vehicle, which means you have the privilege of going faster. With this, however, bikers should keep in mind that being on the road means you need to also be aware of pedestrians crossing the street, because pedestrians have the right of way. This is a common courtesy that every vehicle should be aware of, and being on a bike is considered a type of vehicle.

In general, bikers need to be aware of your surroundings just as much as pedestrians, skateboarders and automobiles are. We can all coexist here in Boulder. After all, we are the happiest city in the United States, so let’s keep it that way.

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!