Best Ways to Get Into The Swing of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

College can be stressful and so can getting into that new routine for the fall. Maintaining your social life and school can be a tricky situation.

As many know this is a really important year for a lot of us. It is the first time that many people have had an in-person class in a long time, so here is the understanding that students will be approaching this year differently. Being able to stay organized while maintaining your grades, internships, and clubs can be a lot. The important thing to remember is that you’re not alone getting back into the swing of things. Here are some tips to help your transition:

make time to meet your professors

It is so important to meet your professors. A short office meeting will really allow you to understand their coursework, create a relationship, and allow you to network within the field your professor has expertise in. While it may require a bit more time and effort upfront, it is always great to keep those connections after the semester ends. Personally, I still have relationships with professors that I have had in the past because I really value their advice.

Buying books

The best advice that I have ever received is don’t buy your books until after you have attended the class at least once. I have saved so much money doing this. You may want to shift your schedule after attending that class once. Rent your books or find online copies before buying them at a bookstore.

exercise

Build time in your schedule to exercise. This can mean going to the gym, going for a walk, or just playing a game with your friends outside of class. Being able to set this time for yourself allows you to be active without the rush since you’ve already dedicated time for this activity.

Note-taking

Figure out the best way for you to organize your notes. Personally, I know that for some of my classes, it is easier to take notes in a notebook where they are color-coded, especially since some professors don’t allow technology in their classes. For other classes, I use a Google Doc by date and topic. I had one class where I had random notes in both my notebook and computer, and it was unorganized.

Planning

Since classes have officially started, it is time to plan out the school year. Being able to determine how your courses are going to shift your schedule is the most important thing. This will allow you to plan how you want your week to look, such as planning for homework, work, exercise, or friends. Overall, having that plan will help you be able to stay organized and create an atmosphere where you will be less stressed.

Find clubs

It’s never too late to try and find a new club to join! Being able to be surrounded by new people with the same interests as me has really allowed me to make new connections and meet new people. It also has been a great way for me to discover new hobbies. It is so important to find things to do outside of school because school shouldn’t be your entire life.

plan changes in your wardrobe

Since I attend school in a place like Colorado where we experience all four seasons, I’ve always found it useful to plan for colder weather as soon as September. Within the next four weeks, the weather will be completely different from what it is right now, so remember to take some time out of your day and try to find statement items that will make the transition easier for you.

Remember that even though starting the semester can be stressful, it is important to prioritize ways that will allow you to grow as a person this year. If you do this, you can set yourself up to have a smoother transition into the semester, and you’ll be as prepared as you possibly can be.

Angelique is a Junior at CU Boulder studying Journalism with a double minor in Business and Communication. In her free time, you can find her looking for a new place to discover in Colorado.