This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This Earth Day, unwind from the hectic school week with some feel-good and educational movies. If you can, go to one in person this year as they donate a portion of the sales to conservation. This guide will ensure your Earth Day is a success!

Animals

The best animal documentaries to watch are Disney Nature movies. Each year, they come out with one on Earth Day and contribute to conservation. My personal favorites are “Chimpanzee,” “Bears,” “Born in China,” and “Monkey Kingdom.” For those of you who don’t like to watch the circle of life, these movies are the best ones to turn to. All of these Disney Nature movies are on Disney Plus. 

“The Dolphin Tale” series is great as well. The story of the animals at Clear Water Marine Hospital will surely be a throwback. You can watch “Dolphin Tale 1” on Hulu or “Dolphin Tale 2” on premium Hulu. Winter is sure to steal your heart in this feel-good movie. 

“March of the Penguins” is bound to tug at your pathos. This incredible documentary captures the most spectacular occurrences between emperor penguins. It can be viewed on Netflix. 

Coral in the Ocean

“Chasing Coral” really puts life into perspective. It gets those who aren’t passionate about preventing climate change to become passionate. The crazy reality of how important coral is to our survival and the survival of the whole ocean pulls at your heartstrings. You can watch it on Netflix or on YouTube for free.

If you’re wanting to sit back in ah of the spectacular ocean, “Destination: World Coral Reef Adventure” is just the movie for you. This one-hour, 15-minute-long documentary will transport you to the deep blue and away from the stress of the week. It can be viewed on Pluto TV for free.

Icebergs

Boulderite James Balog, and the father of one of my high school peers, set off on a journey to capture melting glaciers with never before seen footage. You can watch this spectacular film on YouTube TV for $3 or on Amazon Prime for $4. It will make you want to take a trip to see these magnificent sights before they are all gone. 

Whether it is a documentary on animals, bleaching coral, or melting glaciers, these movies are bound to get you in the Earth Day mood and give back. Get transported across the globe from your dorm or apartment room. 

Olivia McKeen

CU Boulder '24

Olivia is a contributing writer for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a freshman majoring in Marketing and hoping to get a certificate in social responsibility and ethics. In her free time, she enjoys going on adventures, going on hikes, and hanging out with friends and loved ones.
Sko Buffs!