This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Have you always wanted to change your hair color but you are scared the tone is going to wash you out?

By the end of this article you should be able to narrow down what colors are right for you.

Source//Byrdie

Now that you have identified what tone your hair is, let’s match you up!

Source

Warm Blond: If you have fair to light or olive skin with cool undertones this color is for YOU! The warms in the blond will cancel out the cool tones in your skin giving you a perfectly balanced look. Chrissy Teigen is a perfect example of how you can balance out cool tones with warm hair.

Source

Cool Blond: Cool blonds are perfect individuals who have a warmer undertone. Cool tones are icy, platinum, ashy, etc. These tones are recommended for individuals who have fair to light skin. Often people are confused when it comes to the right hair color for them if they have warm skin and cool-toned eyes. Don’t be fooled if you have blue or green eyes with warm skin this is still your go-to color.

Source

Warm Brown: Browns are often easier to match. Warm browns can be stunning on most skin tones light to dark. Warm browns are recommended for those with cooler-toned skin (yellow or green undertones). If you have olive or yellow-toned skin opt for a warm brown to balance out the coolness.

Source

Cool Brown: Like warm brown, cool brown is stunning on nearly every skin tone light to dark. If you are worried about matching your skin tone with your hair PICK cool brown. This hair color is also stunning on individuals with neutral-toned skin.​​

Source

Warm Red: Warm reds are perfect for those with cool or neutral undertones. Strawberry blonds, copper, and peaches are perfect to make your cool features pop.

Source

Cool Red: Now you are probably thinking, if I already have a red undertone why would I want to dye my hair red? Surprisingly this will color will give you a healthy glow and won’t emphasize the red undertones in your skin. It is recommended you avoid this color if you have yellow or olive skin tones as it can make you look sickly.

Source

Warm Black: Warm blacks are stunning on deeper and darker skin tones. This tone makes mocha skin tones pop. This color is harder to pull off if you have lighter porcelain skin tones.

Source

Cool Black: Cool blacks are the jet black color that you see on the Kardashians. They are perfect for individuals with lighter warm undertone skin types. Avoid this color if you have cool undertones it will wash you out.

Talia Eaton

CU Boulder '20

Talia is a Junior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She has always had a passion for beauty. She has worked in various hair salons and makeup companies where she has picked up tips and tricks that she is eager to share with the world. She hopes to highlight the connections beauty creates and prove that beauty is a universal language!
Sko Buffs!