This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’re anything like me, your favorite parts of the Super Bowl are the parts that don’t involve football. Between the epic halftime show from The Weeknd, an incredible poem from America’s newest lyrical inspiration Amanda Gorman, and the clever ads, there’s something for everyone. While the Super Bowl has become the crown jewel event for advertising, some ads always stand out more than others. Here are my favorites.

Edgar Scissorhands – Cadillac.

With Winona Ryder and Timothee Chalamet, this ad brilliantly plays upon a classic story that is truly like no other. By diving into the hilarity of trying to do everyday tasks with scissors for hands, it highlights perfectly the ease and convenience of the new “Hands-Free Cruise” technology introduced by Cadillac.

Let’s Grab A Beer – Anheuser-Busch.

This heartwarming commercial reminds us of how food, and particularly beer, brings us all together. By highlighting situations in which things go far from as planned, it serves as a sweet reminder of the humanity and kindness in each of us, and is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Opportunity Knocks – Fiverr.

With a cheeky reference to Former President Trump’s great Four Seasons press conference debacle, Fiverr displays how they can help businesses reach their full potential. By highlighting one of the greatest, and funniest, professional mix ups of 2020, they remind us that things go wrong, and when running your own business, you need all the help you can get.

It Wasn’t Me – Cheetos.

Everyone loves Shaggy’s hit song “It Wasn’t Me”, and the Cheetos ad featuring the artist and a fun spin on the song is no exception. By poking fun at the messiness of Cheeto dust, everyone can find humor in how featured actress Mila Kunis is caught eating them red-handed, or should I say orange-handed, by real-life husband Ashton Kutcher.

Last Year’s Lemons – Bud Light Seltzer.

At this point, everyone agrees that 2020 was quite frankly, a shitshow. And while we all tried to make the best of it and embrace the “when life hands you lemons” expression, this ad hilariously points out that maybe, just maybe, we were handed a few too many lemons.

It seems that after 2020, we all needed a laugh, and while many of those ads provided exactly that, there were also some fantastic ads highlighting all we should be grateful for after a tough year. And hey, if Super Bowl ads aren’t your thing, at least they provide a solid three minutes to grab another drink or pull those nachos out of the oven.

Lila is a Sophomore at CU Boulder studying Strategic Communication. Originally from Norfolk, Virginia, she grew up with a love for the beach but her love has extended to the mountains since her move out west. When she's not outside, Lila can be found singing with CU Boulder's only all women's a cappella group, On The Rocks, organizing politically, or having a coffee.
Sko Buffs!