This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Growing up, my family always spent Thanksgiving with friends. It was a chance for my parents to relax and laugh with their friends, and an opportunity for my brother and I to overeat and watch movies with other kids. Because of the positive memories associated with soul food and playing hide-and-go-seek with the neighborhood kids, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I dream about mashed potatoes, stuffing, biscuits, cranberry sauce, sweet-potato casserole, green beans, roasted brussel sprouts, and turkey, but the one Thanksgiving dish I look forward to the most is pie. Hands down, pie is the best part about Thanksgiving. 

EMOTIONAL

For me, pie is not only a delicious treat, but also a nostalgic piece of my childhood. As a kid, my parents’ friends, “Uncle” Pete and Maria always cooked a huge spread of food, and we ended the night watching football in the living room. So, Thanksgiving was like a normal Saturday, except for when Maria pulled her various pies out of the oven and the house warmed with the smell of cinnamon. There was pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, and best of all, Maria made me a special pecan pie because she knew it was my favorite. So, of course I believe dessert is the best part about Thanksgiving, because even now the smell of pecan pie reminds me of Maria and our shared family Thanksgiving traditions. 

FINAL STEP OF FEAST

Another reason why pie is the best part about Thanksgiving is that it is the final piece of the classic American feast inevitably leading to a food-coma. Even though not the healthiest, or most honorable decision, I can’t help but look forward to unbuttoning my pants on Thanksgiving day and suffering from my fullness with all my family and friends. After gorging nonstop all day, eating one or two (or three) pieces of Grandma’s delicious pumpkin pie with a flakey crust is quite literally the icing on the cake of our tradition of overeating. There is absolutely no better feeling than curling up on the couch, half-asleep, and nibbling warm pie while watching football and falling asleep right as you finish chewing the last bite.

OPTIONS 

Finally, because of the many pie options, it is the best Thanksgiving dish for all flavor pallets. Are you a traditionalist? Have a slice of pumpkin pie. Do you have a major sweet tooth but love a classic dish? Pecan pie is your girl. Want something fruity? There’s apple, blueberry, and cherry pie to choose from. Everytime I go to a different Thanksgiving get-together I am introduced to a new type of pie, and fortunately, I’ve never had a slice of pie I didn’t like. 

Whether you’re a die-hard football fan, just visiting to see your favorite aunt, or crave a home cooked meal, Thanksgiving is a holiday most people enjoy. But one thing we can all look forward to come Thanksgiving break is the scent of a freshly baked pie being pulled from the oven. There is absolutely nothing better than a warm piece of pie after a long day of feasting. 

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.