Style

Allbirds Shoes: Your Feet Will Thank You Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I am always on the hunt for the perfect pair of shoes. This can be different for each person, but for me, I want shoes that are versatile, minimalist, and most of all, comfortable! In the warmer weather, you will find me living in my Birkenstocks. But now that the cold is coming, I have found it hard to find a great pair of shoes that satisfies all my requirements. I usually will wear Converse or Toms, but the hard, flat sole is starting to take a toll on my feet. Recently, I have come across a shoe brand called Allbirds, and my feet have been forever changed.

Originating in New Zealand, Allbirds are a sneaker-type shoe that comes in a three different style options: Runners (sneakers with full laces), Loungers (slip on with no laces), and Skippers (fusion of the two, sneaker style with half lace). Their shoes also come in two different materials: New Zealand merino wool that is warm and soft, or eucalyptus tree fiber that is light and breathable. And, of course, there are plenty of colors to chose from as well. The pair that I ordered is in the style Tree Skipper in the color Kauri Coffee and I am absolutely in love with them. I’ve had them for about three weeks now and I never want to wear another pair of shoes again.

Photo from allbirds.com, Style: Tree Skipper, Color: Kauri Coffee (White Sole)

The insole of the shoe is made of a castor bean oil-based foam. It literally feels like you are walking on a cloud every time you step. The soles are lined with the merino wool fabric; they are moisture wicking and will also not absorb odors. Not to mention, they are incredibly soft so you are able to wear them without socks. The outer sole is a soft, flexible material that moves naturally with your feet.

Allbirds is an extremely environmentally conscious company that uses sustainable and ethically sourced materials to make their shoes. All of their packaging is made from 90% recycled cardboard, and each shoelace is made from recycled plastic water bottles. Since the materials are natural and not synthetically made, the carbon footprint is significantly less than that of a normal shoe as well. The sheep farmers that harvest the Merino Wool are held to an extremely high standard regarding the treatment of the animals.

“All of our wool is ZQ Merino certified which ensure that it meets the highest standards of farming, land management, and animal welfare. Unlike many sheep farms, all of our farmers are prohibited from using the harmful practice of mulesing. All that’s to say, our sheep lead happy lives, with glorious hilly views  to boot.”- allbirds.com

Photo from allbirds.com, Style: Wool Runner, Color: Tuke Matcha (Matcha Sole)

The shoes are a little more on the pricey side, with a pair costing $95. However, they are definitely worth the price-tag. The shoes are durable, comfortable, and are even machine-washable so you won’t be going through a pair a year like some other shoe brands out there. They are also very neutral in terms of style, so these shoes will be able to keep up with any trend coming your way.

Bottom line, Allbirds is an extremely down to earth company with the customers in mind, not profits. They offer a 30 day trial period once your shoes are delivered; if you decide you don’t like the shoes you ordered, you are able to return them with a full refund! But, the chances of you not liking these after a few wears is pretty slim…

“The shoe industry prioritizes profit over principles (and comfort). We let form follow function, removing unnecessary stitches, colorful branding, and unwanted shoe-tech. We strive to make beautiful shoes using considered design—meaning every raw material is thoughtfully chosen for its unique properties, sustainability, and its end of life.”- allbirds.com

Photo from allbirds.com, Style: Tree Lounger, Color: Kauri Cobalt (White Sole)

If you want to spend your money on quality products that support a business practicing ethical and environmental efforts, this is the shoe for you. Trust me, your feet will thank you once you slip on a pair of these shoes. They are definitely worth the money, and with the holiday season approaching, put these on the top of your wishlist!

Emily Page

CU Boulder '20

Hey! I'm Emily and I am a junior originally from New Jersey. I'm studying Mechanical Engineering, and when I graduate I want to build rollercoasters for Disney. On campus, I am a tour guide, a member of Greek life, and part of the Society of Women Engineers. I have a major travel bug, and I just completed a semester abroad in Australia. I am obsessed with cooking, fuzzy socks, movie nights, and all things Game of Thrones.
Sko Buffs!