Election Hero Images 1png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Images 1png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Culture > News

All the Issues You Need to Know on the Colorado Ballot This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

You know it’s important to vote. But do you know what you are voting on exactly? While the 2020 presidential election is of great significance, it is not the only thing on the ballot this year. The research that goes into voting can be time grueling and it can sometimes be intimidating not knowing what some of the legal jargon means. If you are registered to vote in Colorado, here are all of the issues on the ballot this year and what voting for or against these issues means.

Amendment: Repeal Gallagher Amendment.

Summary: 

Amendment B would repeal the Gallagher Amendment of 1982, which limits the residential and non-residential property tax assessment rates. 

Some expect that repealing the Gallagher Amendment and freezing property tax rates at current levels will result in a higher residential assessment. Due to the Colorado Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights (TABOR), the legislature can not increase assessment rates without a statewide vote of the people. So this is simply saying that tax rates will be frozen at the current rate, they will not increase unless there is another later statewide vote in support of an increase.

What your vote means

YES: Supporting the measure allows the Colorado State Legislature to freeze property tax assessment rates at the current rates. Legislative sponsor of the measure Rep. Daneya Esgar (D) said: “Colorado’s schools, libraries, firefighters, police officers, and special districts can’t afford the Gallagher Amendment. I’ve worked on this issue for long enough to know first-hand how the Gallagher Amendment is hampering our local governments’ ability to properly fund needed services.”

NO: Opposing the measure would mean that the provisions related to property taxes will remain in place. In opposition to the measure, Michael Fields, executive director of Colorado Rising State Action, said: “This is expected to result in a decreasing residential assessment rate over time and in automatic local mill levy increases in jurisdictions where required by law.”

Amendment C: Conduct of Charitable Gaming.

Summary: 

Charitable gaming is defined as bingo, pull-tab games, and raffles that are operated by charitable organizations. A charitable organization is defined as “any organization, not for pecuniary profit, that is operated for the relief of poverty, distress, or other condition of public concern” within Colorado. The amendment would require charitable organizations to have existed for three years before obtaining a charitable gaming license instead of the current constitutional requirement of five years. The amendment would allow charitable organizations to hire managers and operators of gaming activities so long as they are not paid more than the minimum wage.

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports lowering the number of years an organization must have existed before obtaining a charitable gaming license and allows charitable organizations to hire managers and operators of gaming activities so long as they are not paid more than the minimum wage.

NO: A “no” vote opposes changing requirements for charitable gaming and requires those who operate charitable gaming activities to be unpaid volunteers of the organization.

Amendment 76: Citizenship Qualification of Voters.

Summary: 

The Colorado Constitution currently says, “Every citizen of the United States who has attained the age of eighteen years, has resided in this state for such a time as may be prescribed by law, and has been duly registered as a voter if required by law shall be qualified to vote at all elections.”

Under the ballot measure, the Colorado Constitution would say, “Only a citizen of the United States who has attained the age of eighteen years, has resided in this state for such a time as may be prescribed by law, and has been duly registered as a voter if required by law shall be qualified to vote at all elections.”

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports amending the Colorado Constitution to state that “only a citizen” of the U.S. who is 18 years of age or older can vote in Colorado.

NO: A “no” vote opposes amending the Colorado Constitution, thus keeping the existing language that says “every citizen” of the U.S. can vote in Colorado and continuing to allow 17-year-olds to vote in primary elections if they will be 18 by the general election.

Amendment 77: Local Voter Approval of Casino Bet Limits and Games in Black Hawk, Central City, and Cripple Creek.

Summary: 

The initiative would allow voters in Central City, Black Hawk, and Cripple Creek — (the only towns where gaming is legal in Colorado) to approve a maximum single bet of any amount and approve more types of gambling games. The measure would repeal language that sets a maximum single bet of $100. 

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports allowing voters to approve the two proposals above.

NO:  A “no” vote opposes allowing voters to approve the two proposals above.

Proposition EE: Taxes on Nicotine Products.

Summary:

This measure would incrementally increase cigarette and tobacco product taxes and create a new tax on nicotine products such as e-cigarettes.

Tax revenues would be dedicated to health and education programs including the following:

Preschool programs cash fund;

State education fund;

Rural schools cash fund;

Housing development grant fund;

Tobacco tax cash fund;

Tobacco education programs fund;

State general fund

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports creating a tax on nicotine products such as e-cigarettes increasing cigarette and tobacco taxes.

NO: A “no” vote opposes creating a tax on such products.

Proposition 113: Adopt Agreement to Elect U.S. President by National Popular Vote.

Summary: 

A proposal to adopt an agreement among the states to elect the President of the United States by national popular vote.

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports a bill passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor of Colorado joining an agreement to elect the POTUS by national popular vote if enough states also enter the agreement. 

NO: A “no” vote rejects the bill and keeps Colorado’s current system (part of the electoral college) where Colorado’s vote for POTUS is whoever wins the state popular vote.

Proposition 114: Reintroduction and Management of Gray Wolves.

Summary: 

The proposition would require the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to create and carry out a plan to reintroduce and manage gray wolves (Canis lupus) by the end of 2023.

The commission would also manage any distribution of state funds that are made available to “pay fair compensation to owners of livestock for any losses of livestock caused by gray wolves.”

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to create and carry out a plan to reintroduce and manage gray wolves by the end of 2023.

NO: A “no” vote means that Colorado will not be required to reintroduce gray wolves.

Proposition 115: Prohibit Abortions After 22 Weeks

Summary: 

Colorado does not currently limit the gestational age (a measure of the age of a pregnancy which is taken from the beginning of the woman’s last period)– at which an abortion can be performed. This initiative would prohibit abortions after a fetus reaches 22 weeks or a little over 5 months pregnant.

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote prohibits abortions after 22 weeks.

NO: A “no” vote means that abortion will continue to be legal at any time during pregnancy.

Proposition 116: State Income Tax Rate Reduction

Summary: 

Should there be a change in reducing the state income tax rate from 4.63% to 4.55%? Proposition 116 reduces the state General Fund revenue by an estimated $203 million in the state budget for the year 2020‑21 and $154 million in the state budget for the 2021‑22 year.

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports a decrease in taxes for the tax year of 2020 and future years.

NO: A “no” vote will keep the state income tax rate the same.

Proposition 117: Voter Approval for Certain New State Enterprises

Summary:

This proposition would require statewide voter approval of new state enterprises (state enterprises are business enterprises where the government/state has significant control through full, majority, or significant minority ownership.) If the enterprise’s projected or actual revenue from fees and surcharges is greater than $100 million within its first five years.

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports and requires voter approval for new state government enterprises with fee revenue over $100 million in the first five years.

NO: A “no” vote opposes requiring statewide voter approval of new state enterprises.

Proposition 118: Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program

Summary: 

This proposition allows for 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave funded through a payroll tax paid by employers and employees in a 50/50 split. An additional four weeks of leave would be allowed for pregnancy or childbirth complications. 

What your vote means

YES: A “yes” vote supports establishing a paid family and medical leave program in Colorado to provide 12 weeks of benefits to eligible employees in Colorado funded by premiums paid by employers and employers.

NO: A “no” vote means the state will not create such a program.

Voting on state and local issues and postions can make a difference in your community and it is very important to be educated about it. There are many guides out there like ballotpediathe 2020 state ballot information booklet, and tons more that explain to you everything and everyone that is on the ballot this year. If you are not yet registered to vote, it is not too late. Click here for information. I’m sure you’ve heard it a million times, but get out there and vote!

Michelle Lopez

CU Boulder '22

Michelle is a senior majoring in both Finance & Journalism. When she is not writing for Her Campus, she can be found napping in her cozy bed, hanging with her bestie boos, and always admiring the beautiful flatties.
Sko Buffs!