This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

If you’ve been keeping up with all of the latest pandemic news, I’m sure you’ve heard the words “booster shot” many times. But what is a COVID-19 booster shot, and why do you need one? These newly developed vaccines are actually very important and something that we should all be educated about. I’ve compiled some resources about the booster vaccine below:

What is a booster shot?

A booster shot is an extra dose of the COVID-19 vaccine received at least six months after the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna or the first dose of Johnson & Johnson. Booster shots provide extra protection for your immune system when fighting the virus.

why do i need a booster shot?

Additional doses of the vaccine will help protect us from the developing variants, like Delta or the newly discovered Omicron variant. Because Pfizer and Moderna utilize mRNA technology, they can be altered to target different variants, which will help keep us from getting severe cases of COVID.

Booster shots are not unique to COVID-19. For example, most adults need to receive a flu shot every year and a tetanus shot every 10 years, both of which we have been doing for decades! While there are still many unknowns about COVID-19 and future vaccines, it is possible that we will need several boosters.
A common misconception is that we need booster shots because the first dose(s) were not effective–this is not true! However, it is common for antibodies to wane over time, as levels of “neutralizing” antibodies shoot up after vaccination and taper off in the following months. A booster vaccine can help ensure that our antibodies are still ready to fight the virus. This is especially true if you are immunocompromised.

how/where do i get the booster shot?

Booster shots are now available to any Coloradan over the age of 18 who received their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna at least six months ago. If you received Johnson & Johnson at least two months ago, you are also eligible for a booster dose, and it is highly recommended you receive a Pfizer or Moderna dose (rather than another J&J dose).

Booster doses are available at any vaccine provider, and just like with the other doses, you are not required to show ID or insurance–booster shots are completely free. If you are living on or near CU Boulder’s campus, you can make an appointment to get your booster at Wardenburg.

Be sure to bring your vaccination card to your appointment!

will i experience side effects?

Potential side effects from the booster shot are very similar to side effects from the second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. In other words, after receiving your booster shot, you may experience soreness, fatigue, headache, fever, or nausea. However, the symptoms should go away within a day or two. I would recommend scheduling your booster shot during a time when you aren’t very busy, so you can let your body rest if you start experiencing side effects.

can i mix and match vaccines?

Yes! You can decide which booster vaccine you’d like to receive. Personally, my first two doses were Pfizer, but I received the Moderna booster shot. Definitely check in with your physician, but generally, you are able to receive either booster shot regardless of your initial vaccine. If you received Johnson & Johnson, you can receive either the Pfizer or Moderna booster shot as well.

my experience

Setting up my booster shot appointment could not have been easier! When the shot became available to all Coloradans a few weeks ago, my mom went online and set up appointments for our whole family. When I got to the pharmacy, I was checked in and got my vaccine within five minutes. 

I did experience some side effects, which was a little surprising because I didn’t have any side effects from my first or second dose. My arm was sore for a few days, and I had trouble sleeping, headache, chills, and nausea for a few hours the morning after my shot. If this happens to you, I definitely recommend drinking juice or Gatorade to stay hydrated and taking painkillers like ibuprofen to ease the soreness. Once I did these things, I felt completely fine. Side effects are no fun to deal with but are definitely preferable to COVID itself.

Despite the side effects, I couldn’t recommend getting the booster shot enough! With new variants like Omicron emerging, it is becoming increasingly clearer that this pandemic is not over. By getting vaccinated, we are doing our part to protect ourselves and others from the evolving COVID-19 virus. Get boosted and have a safe holiday season!

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.