Wellness

A Reflection on My First Thanksgiving After Eating Disorder Recovery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Trigger Warning: Discussion of eating disorders and food 

It has been two weeks since Thanksgiving. I’ve been rethinking and replaying what made this past Thanksgiving so different compared to the ones for the past eight years. When I was little, Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. I loved eating and spending time with my family. I went back for seconds, then thirds, and sometimes even fourths without feeling any guilt, shame, or judgement. Relatives used to marvel at how much food my tiny body could handle. I felt pride. As I got older, this pride about my love of food shifted to deep shame. 

I began having negative thoughts about my body when I was 11 years old. From that point on, I fought constantly with food, how much I hated that I loved it. I battled with disordered eating thoughts and behaviors from the age of 11 until I was 18 (I just turned 19). Even last year, when I was completely weight restored and had made immense progress on combating both my eating disorder thoughts and behaviors, Thanksgiving was still incredibly triggering and difficult for me. I remember pacing myself and trying my best to listen to my body throughout the day, but I still ended up binging that night and feeling horrible about myself. 

Eating disorders aren’t linear, and recovery means something different for each individual. Though I have been “mostly recovered” since I was 16, I didn’t feel fully recovered until this past summer. Even after being fully recovered, I still have days where the voice of the eating disorder is louder, and I have moments where I slip up both with undereating and overeating. The difference now is that these thoughts no longer control me or prevent me from living my life to the fullest. 

This most recent Thanksgiving, I didn’t feel any anxiety about food. A year or two ago, I didn’t believe this was even possible. I spent the day laughing and having fun with my family and I savored all of the delicious food I got to enjoy. My favorite dishes are always creamy mashed potatoes and cherry pie. I didn’t restrict, I didn’t binge, and it felt incredible. I can’t be certain that Thanksgiving will never again be triggering for me, but I now can feel comforted in the fact that enjoying food and holidays surrounded by food is possible for me again. My eating disorder will never win again. 

Call or text the National Eating Disorder Helpline: (800) 931-2237

Jadeyn Dugger

CU Boulder '25

Jadeyn Dugger (she/they) is an Outreach Liaison and a contributing writer for Her Campus at CU Boulder. As an Outreach Liaison, they help plan chapter events and connect the chapter to volunteer opportunities. They have been a contributing writer since their first semester of freshman year, and Her Campus has been a staple in their college experience. Jadeyn is a third year majoring in International Affairs and double minoring in Journalism and Spanish. She hopes to pursue a Five Accelerated Master's in Theatre and Performance Studies and connect her love of theatre with her passion for social justice. While studying journalism, Jadeyn has had the opportunity to write profiles, data stories, and audio stories. Her favorite pieces to write though, are the personal, reflective ones she gets to write for Her Campus. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Jadeyn loves to read, sing, do theatre, and spend time outdoors. They especially love rock climbing and camping in the mountains. They are a proud member of CU Boulder’s Impact Playback Theatre Ensemble and jump at any chance to be engaged with theatre and other performance based art forms. Jadeyn also loves cartwheeling around, doing handstands randomly, and diving into a crow yoga pose in almost any setting.