ryan gosling and margot robbie in barbie movie
Warner Bros

A Ranking of This Year’s Oscar Best Picture Nominations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The Academy Awards: you either love or hate it. 

Despite all the controversy and elitism the Academy Awards carry, I can’t help but be a loyal viewer. I’ve been watching this award show for almost a decade and creating prediction sheets where I guess which movie will win the Oscar while also getting to choose my favorite one. 

This year is a first: I’ve actually watched every single Best Picture nomination before the ceremony. It’s a rare feat, since there is almost always something that prevents me from seeing at least one of the Best Picture nomination. There’s usually a war movie (which I just simply cannot watch people get blown up on a war front, sorry), a movie that’s really hard to access outside of theaters and streaming, or a movie that just seems… weird or unappealing. 

Here are my official rankings for the Best Picture nominations this year. 

Note: I am not a movie expert—I am simply someone who likes watching movies. 

10. Maestro

Maestro tells the story of famous American conductor, Leonard Bernstein, and his difficult relationship with his wife, Felicia. Along with Best Picture, it’s currently up for six other awards.

I’d seen some reviews of this movie before I had seen it, calling it the ultimate “Oscar bait,” meaning it was a movie created solely to appeal to the Oscar judges and win awards. After watching myself, I would definitely agree to the Oscar bait callouts—but hey, I still liked it.

I thought that the movie was beautiful, to say the least. The cinematography was easily the best part of the movie, whether it was a theater shot or of the family on a farm. While Bradley Cooper had the boldest performance as Berstein, I thought that Carey Mulligan’s performance was the standout. 

The reason it’s ranked last compared to these other movies is because I felt like there was no staying power to this film. I liked it, but two hours later I had forgotten that I had even watched it. The story was less about the music and more about ‘the crazy artist’ trope, which I didn’t find as amusing.

Where can I watch Maestro?

Maestro is available to stream on Netflix

9. The Zone of Interest

The Zone of Interest follows a family in Nazi Germany as they attempt to live a normal life, right across from a concentration camp. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for four other awards.

This movie was easily the creepiest of the bunch, despite being a movie about showing the ‘normal’ life of a German family. This movie ended in the theater at the same time as a Mean Girls showing, and the emotions leaving the theater between the two could not have been more different.

The music in this movie is horrifying, and I was tense throughout the whole film, worried that I would see something gory on the screen. Despite being a Holocaust movie, it was very tame with its imagery and relied on sounds and inferences to what was happening behind what we were seeing, which was almost worse. While it was a very important movie to watch, I didn’t necessarily enjoy watching it.

Where can I watch The Zone of Interest?

The Zone of Interest is playing in theaters.

8. Past Lives

Past Lives follows the continuous intertwining of characters, Nora and Hae Sung, as they both ponder what would’ve happened if Nora hadn’t moved to the U.S. when she was younger. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for Best Original Screenplay.

I definitely romanticize my life more than I should because of movies like this. It reaches all the back into my mind and pulls out the ‘what if?’ question that I’ve worked so hard to push down. I’ve heard reviews of this movie making people cry, but for this one I just felt an innate sadness that I don’t know how to describe.

It was moving, beautiful, and simple. I almost wish that there would’ve been a little more to the story line, but I also understand that sitting in purposeful silence creates an impactful effect for the viewer. I’m able to relate to this movie more than any other, and I have a feeling that other viewers felt the same way.

Where can I watch Past Lives?

Past Lives is available to stream on Showtime.

7. Killers of the Flower Moon

Killers of the Flower Moon follows Mollie Burkhart and her attempts to save her community from a series of murders that happen in the Osage nation, fueled by wealth and power. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for nine other awards.

Honestly, it took me three sittings within the day to fully watch this movie. Watching this in the theater would have been more captivating for me, as watching this in my basement alone was not the most enjoyable experience, especially with all that happens.

This movie is based on a true story that I bet most Americans weren’t aware of. The horror of the tragedy is shown remarkably well, and many argue that this is Martin Scorsese’s best film. Scorsese is a director known for having long run times, and this movie is three and a half hours long, but it surprisingly moves pretty fast. The topic is important, but along with The Zone of Interest, it’s not the most enjoyable watch.

Where can I watch Killers of the Flower Moon?

Killers of the Flower Moon is available to stream on AppleTV.

6. Poor Things

Poor Things follows the life of Bella Baxter, a woman who was brought back to life by a scientist, and goes on an adventure around Europe to discover more about life. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for 10 other awards.

This was the last Best Picture nomination I watched, so it’s still quite fresh in my mind. I had no idea what to expect going into the movie, and throughout the entire movie, my mouth was agape. It’s weird and wild and shocking—I absolutely loved it, however. 

This is not a movie to watch with your parents, and it’s also not a movie to watch if you don’t want to see open surgery or sex (and so much of it). All that said, this is such a feel-good movie. Watching a character simply learn what it’s like to be a human and see her fall in love with life is quite emotional. It’s definitely made me think about my perspective in this world, and how to appreciate the small things.

Where can I watch Poor Things?

Poor Things is showing in theaters, and is also available to stream on Hulu.

5. Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer follows Robert Oppenheimer as he begins work on the Manhattan project, which eventually becomes the invention of the atomic bomb. This is the most nominated movie this year at 13 total nominations.

I can guarantee that this movie is also going to win most of the awards this Oscars cycle. The acting is superior, the music score makes me cry just listening to it, and it tells a very unique story about destruction. Was it my favorite movie, though? No.

My one problem with this movie is that I thought it was too long. In Killers of the Flower Moon, the plot was always moving and it felt like time hadn’t passed. With Oppenheimer, I was really feeling that last hour. I thought that the interrogation scenes went on for too long and did little to convince me of Oppenheimer’s character. That being said, everything else is near perfection, and that’s why it’s still ranked so high. While I won’t have time before the ceremony, I definitely plan to watch this again.

Where can I watch Oppenheimer?

Oppenheimer is available to stream on PeacockTV.

4. The Holdovers

The Holdovers is about a New England prep school teacher who has to watch the students who can’t go home during Christmas break, and forms an unlikely friendship with one of the students. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for four other awards.

This movie is incredibly unique to the nominated bunch; it looks like it’s right out of the 2000s comedy era of films. Watching this movie felt nostalgic in a way, and you connect to the characters like they’re your own friends. 

From this movie, I had two main takeaways: high school boys are so mean to each other, and while everyone is flawed, we’re all just trying their best. This movie had me in tears a number of times with its storytelling, with incredible acting performances that highly deserve an Oscar win. I hope that out of all the movies this year, this one manages to pull out an underdog story and win the big awards.

Where can I watch The Holdovers?

The Holdovers is available to stream on PeacockTV.

3. American Fiction

American Fiction is about Monk, a novelist, who writes a book based on numerous Black tropes in order to help his family. He’s frustrated to see that it’s his most successful book ever. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for four other awards.

This might be my most controversial ranking, where putting this movie above the likes of Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer might look like treason to some people. But this movie never lost my attention, and it was under three hours long. In fact, it was even under two hours long. 

As it was a movie about writing, I absolutely loved this movie and all the implications that came with it. I feel like it’s so hard to write something original and powerful and have people actually enjoy it; when you settle into all the cliches and tropes, especially when they’re based on a group of people, that’s when it gets interesting. Do you sacrifice art and substance for money? It’s a question explored in this film, and it’s also funny and endearing and everything in between. 

Where can I watch American Fiction?

American Fiction is showing in theaters and available to stream on The Roku Channel.

2. Anatomy of a Fall

Anatomy of a Fall follows a fictional court case where a mother is accused of murdering her husband, and the only witness to the act is her blind son. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for four other awards.

I knew what this movie was about before I had watched it, but I don’t think I could’ve prepared for the next two and a half hours I was about to watch. For a crime-based plot, this movie is so subtle, yet makes you feel… so… bad—about everything.

I really felt myself questioning the entire situation while I was watching this movie: What would I do? Do I empathize with the wife or her child? Or no one? And who is really telling the truth?

I’m usually not a huge fan of trial movies, but this one caught my attention. It was so tense, so well executed, so emotional. The acting performances, including the dog, were out of this world. This is a movie that not enough people have seen, and I highly recommend that everyone watch it. 

Where can I watch Anatomy of a Fall?

Anatomy of a Fall is available for rent on AppleTV and Amazon Prime Video.

1. Barbie

Barbie is about Barbie’s adventure into the “real world,” where she discovers what it’s like to be a human. Along with Best Picture, it’s also up for seven other awards.

Is this the most technical movie of the bunch? Not even close. Does it have the best acting? I’d argue not. But did it make me feel some special way where I was smiling through tears? Absolutely. 

It’s a little ironic, “of course after she’s seen all these incredible films, and she chose Barbie.” But I have no shame in my decision. The movie portrays how hard it is to just grow up, how hard it is to be known for something while also trying to individualize. The scene where Barbie is sitting at the bench with the older woman and sees a montage of lives made me cry harder than any scene in film I saw last year. 

This movie was also able to bring so many people together in the movie theater, it broke records in the box office and brought back dressing up for movies. Whether people think that the story wasn’t all the way there or it was overrated, there’s no argument that millions of people watched, connected and loved this film across the world. Greta Gerwig absolutely deserved a Best Director nomination for this film… which I believe is the biggest snub of the year.

I’ll also mention that most of the movies this year aren’t “fun” to watch—murder, oppression, and the Holocaust all themes of other films. While they’re important stories, I needed something a little more light this year. Barbie made me think, laugh, cry, and every emotion in between. I’ve seen it four times, and will continue to watch it again and again.

Where can I watch Barbie?

Barbie is available to stream on Max.

When are the Academy Awards?

The Academy Awards are live Sunday, March 10th, from 5-8pm MST. Watch them for yourself to see what crazy (or not so crazy) things happen at this ceremony!

As for me, I’ve got my prediction sheets ready, and you can expect a recap article of this year’s Academy Awards coming soon.

Anna Bedell

CU Boulder '25

Anna Bedell is the social media director at the Her Campus, CU Boulder chapter. She writes content mainly on entertainment and culture, along with personal essays and experiences. A junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder, Anna is majoring in business administration with an emphasis in marketing and a minor in journalism. She’s recently studied abroad at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy for the fall semester. An involved student in the business school, Anna writes for the school’s marketing department, is a representative for the Leeds Student Government, and works as a Leeds Student Ambassador. Outside of school, you’ll find Anna rock climbing, watching movies, writing, or traveling around. She’s sure to constantly update her Spotify profile and will never miss an opportunity to talk about her cat, Biscuit.