This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Dear 2023, 

On Jan. 1, 2023, as people shouted and cheered as the clock hit 12, I had no clue what this year would have in store for me. To be completely honest, I cried that day, like I do every New Year. I remember a poem that I wrote in the early hours of the first day of 2023. It was a plea, a wish, a desire, whatever you want to call it, to be “loved like the poets write,” little did I know that a shining star heard me and worked its magic to give me one of the best years of my life. 

I already knew that 2023 was going to be better than 2022 and 2021 and definitely better than 2020. This was because I already knew that I was going to accomplish my childhood dream before the year had even begun. Not even a week into 2023, on Jan. 6, I was on my way to begin my semester abroad in London. I was overjoyed, excited, and desperate to see what this part of my life would become. The places I’d visit, the memories I’d make, the impact that this semester would have on my life. And boy, did London give me plenty to work with. 

During my time abroad, I learned so much about the world and, most importantly, about myself. I made some really cool friends from different parts of the world, explored museums and art galleries, and saw monuments that I had previously seen in movies or TV shows. My professors took the class on neighborhood walks, intriguing field trips, and talked to me like I was an equal. I visited other cities like Edinburgh and Salisbury, immersing myself in their culture and history. 

And I met a boy. A kind boy who makes me feel wanted, seen, heard, and, most importantly, loved. He listened to my rambles intently, not as if listening to me was a chore but more that he was genuinely interested in what I had to say. He showed me a new side of London, the side that tourists overlook, a raw, unique, and beautiful London. He held me as I cried at the thought of leaving, going back home where I could not take him and London with me. I told him that long distance, especially one of 4,000 miles, would be incredibly hard and that if he didn’t want to do that, I wouldn’t hold it against him. He laughed like it was a joke and told me that the hardships were worth it to be with me. 

While leaving London in April was hard, I also missed my family more than I knew it was possible to miss the people I had seen almost every day for 18 years. I told them stories of the things I experienced, and they told me stories about what I had missed. We hugged and laughed, and although my nephew, who was barely six months old when I left, didn’t remember me, that’s okay because one day I’ll be the aunt with the cool stories. 

In the summer, I went back to work, which was actually very refreshing. I got to hang out with friends, watch movies with my siblings, and celebrate my nephew’s first birthday. I went to a concert which ended really badly. Long story short, I got hailed on and over 100 people were sent to the hospital. Thankfully, I got out unscathed. 

Then my boyfriend came to visit me! And although there were some issues there — multiple canceled flights, long nights, multiple calls with United Airlines, and a few days trapped in an airport — he eventually made it to me. Now it was my turn to show him around; I took him to all of my favorite places and showed him cool American things. It was such a nice and sweet time that I got to see him connect with my family and learn more about me and where I come from. And while, of course, it was sad to separate again, I was so thankful for the time we got to spend together. 

After that, it was time to come back to school. I moved into my apartment, and I have to say, having my own space after living in a dorm was super nice. I got to spend time with my college friends, who I had missed so much before starting my second year of college. Classes started, and I felt so excited to be back in Boulder for this semester, which I didn’t expect after spending a semester in London. My friends made it a million times better, I’m sure, but it was still a pleasant surprise.

Fall semester included great classes with great professors, late nights with some of the best people I’ve ever met, and amazing events and experiences at CU. 

Overall, while 2023 may not have been perfect, and while there were tears, hardships, and battles to overcome, if I had to give the title of “best year” to any year of my life, it would be this one. I’m so thankful for the people I’ve met and those who stayed, the new things I got to experience and see, and for my family for always being there to support me. I’m also so incredibly thankful for the boy who made the year a million times better and who continues to make every day happy and full of joy even from 4,000 miles away. 

I’m actually quite sad that this year is coming to an end, but I am also excited for 2024. Will it top this year? Maybe. I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

Adamari Ruelas

CU Boulder '26

Adamari Ruelas is a contributing writer for the Her Campus chapter at CU Boulder. Her job within Her Campus is to write at least two articles a month, one contributing to a theme week. Outside of Her Campus, Adamari is a first-generation college student who is currently a sophomore at the University of Colorado Boulder, majoring in English Creative Writing. During her spring semester of freshman year, Adamari studied abroad in London, wanting to learn about different cultures while also being able to study in a Literature-rich city. Adamari also interned at the Aurora Public Schools Communications Department during her senior year of High School, where she learned how to write articles, interview subjects, and create social media posts for the department under the guidance of multiple professionals. In her free time, Adamari enjoys reading and writing, at least when she isn’t hanging out with her friends or playing Overwatch with her little siblings. She is a very proud Mexican-American who loves sharing her culture as long as Mexican history with anyone who lends an ear. Adamari is also a massive nerd, especially with Harry Potter (she’s a Ravenclaw btw) and Marvel. In the future, Adamari hopes to become a published author, sharing her works with the world and hoping they help people the way books have helped her.