A Cultural Reset: How Female Rappers Changed Society Through Sexual Liberation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Play almost any rap song and you will hear lyrics about money, drugs, violence, and sex. Provocative songs like “FACK” and “Candy Shop,” both by male artists, have been hits since the early 90s, and the borderline abusive lyrics are brushed over. Contrastingly, when a woman produces a song with detailed vulgar language about her desires, the public is shocked. For example, pop culture absolutely exploded when Cardi B came out with “WAP” in 2020. Many complained about her dirty lyrics and objectification of men, but from another perspective, “WAP” highlighted sex from a female viewpoint. For decades female rappers like Cardi B have produced bangers which have aided in the normalization of female masturbation, sexual desires, and boosted the confidence of thousands of women. Here is a list of female rappers throughout history whose controversial lyrics have reset the sex liberation movement. 

Modern Rappers 

Cardi B

Cardi, albeit controversial in many ways, immediately comes to mind when thinking about sexual liberation in rap. Her songs, such as “WAP” and “Up,” were instant classics when released and really publicized the women’s sexual liberation movement. She’s unapologetically herself in interviews and on-screen, and has made sexual liberation “trendy” with new TikTok sounds, performances, and lyrics.  I mean, the lyric “broke boys don’t deserve no pu**y” speaks for itself. 

Doja Cat

Not only is Doja Cat beautiful, talented, and an amazing artist in terms of women’s sexual liberation, she’s also so funny. Like, if you follow her TikTok, you will be flabbergasted constantly at the way this woman’s mind works. Gone are the days of the stereotype that pretty women can’t be funny (which was always bogus). Besides that, all of her songs are so catchy. “Juicy,” “Talk Dirty,” and “Need to Know” will leave you feeling confident and energized. 

Megan Thee Stallion

Megan Thee Stallion earned her bachelor’s degree this past year. Wait, let me rephrase that. Megan Thee Stallion earned her bachelor’s degree while releasing music, making public appearances, and being a full-on celebrity, this past year. If that’s not inspiring, I don’t know what is. 

She also has so much music that is essential to any girl’s empowerment playlist. “Thot Shit,” “Hot Girl,” and of course, “Savage” are sexual staples for any woman looking for a bit of confidence. My personal favorite is the “Savage” remix with Beyoncé. 

CupcakKe

This article wouldn’t be complete without mentioning CupcakKe. She is the queen of vulgar, hypersexualized songs, which leave even the most devoted listeners speechless. While her music is almost comical because of lyrics like “mouth wide open like I was at the dentist” and “tunnel loves a deep throat,” CupcakKe is the perfect example of a woman comfortable with her sexuality and desires.

2000s-2010s Icons

Beyoncé 

As a kid, I made dance routines to “Irreplaceable,” “Diva,” and other empowering songs by Queen B. Her music taught me so much about confidence, sass, and self-love. Now, Beyoncé continues to prove herself as a feminist leader in the music industry through her perfect balance of sexy, creative, athletic, and emotional. Every girl needs to listen to Beyoncé to learn about embracing one’s femininity while being a total boss.

Nicki Minaj

Crowned the queen of rap, Nicki Minaj is a true icon and has influenced men and women alike since the early 2000s. Her music ranges from slow, emotional songs like “Grand Piano” to goofy pop like “Starships.” Along with the versatility of her music, Nicki is known for her loud laugh, fashion sense, and outspokenness. She also is very open about her sexuality, and many of her lyrics are explicit: further emphasizing her impact not only on pop culture but also normalizing female masturbation, desires, and sexual pleasure.

Lizzo

Since 2015, Lizzo has been a role model for body positivity. With lyrics like “say I’m turning big girls into hoes” and “Lizzo, teach me about big girl coochie,” she is clearly proud of her size and more than comfortable with her sexuality. She sings about success, being “that bitch” and weight. I love Lizzo because she is confident as hell and knows it.  

The Founding Mothers

Queen Latifah

Queen Latifah is a little bit of everything; she is a well-known rapper, successful actress, and full-time girl-boss. Her music career in the 90s and early 2000s focused on important issues like sexual harassment, domestic violence, and being a Black woman in white America. She was the first rapper to perform at the Super Bowl and is an advocate for women’s rights. Her 1998 hit “Turn You On” is a song centered on the sexual desires of women.

Lil’ Kim

The original queen of rap, Lil’ Kim, led the female rap industry in the 90s and early 2000s. She is known for her risky fashion choices, bold lyrics, and helping women embrace their sexualities. Although her lyrics aren’t as vulgar and in-your-face as current female rappers, compared to other musicians of her time, Lil’ Kim’s music is very controversial. If you are looking for a confidence boost, underrated songs for your playlist, or a new feminist role model, I definitely recommend listening to Lil’ Kim.

Missy Elliot

Besides being a rap icon, Missy Elliot is an avid advocate against childhood abuse, rape, and is a self-proclaimed feminist. The Economist said that Elliot is to rap what “Prince is to R&B,” which should give you an idea of how influential this woman is. Of course, everyone knows “Lose Control,” which is both sex and body-positive, but Elliot has a large array of music that everyone should check out. 

Female rappers who sing about sex, drugs, and violence are labeled as “controversial,” “trashy,” and “over-the-top,” when in reality, they are matching the energy of their male counterparts. Instead of judging or making memes about these songs, we need to recognize them as a way of normalizing women’s sexualities. Doja Cat, Lil’ Kim, and so many other rappers are feminist icons because they write lyrics about feminine desire, exploration, and confidence without worrying about the judgment of males in the music industry. They are good dancers, beautiful women, and ultimately major contributors to women’s empowerment. I wouldn’t be the woman I am today without the influence of female rappers who made me comfortable in my own skin, confident despite my flaws, and unashamed of my sexual desires.

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.
Genevieve Andersen is the President of HCCU, as well as a co-Campus Coordinator. As President, she oversees the senior executive team, executive team, national partnerships, and assists with coordinating events. She manages meetings, recruitment, campus communications, and chapter finances and is one of HCCU's biggest fans. Since she joined the club in 2021, she has found a passion for writing on subjects like politics, law, feminism, environmental justice, and local features. Outside of HCCU, Genevieve is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder, majoring in political science and French and minoring in journalism. Besides magazine writing, she has published and assisted with political science research, with her latest project involving international environmental policy being based in Geneva, Switzerland, where she worked with the United Nations Environmental Program and various European environmental NGOs. When she is not busy reading member's HCCU articles, you can find Genevieve on a ski or hiking trail, hanging out with her friends, playing with her dogs, or staring at her pet fish wishing he could be played with.