8 Basic Items Every Working Woman Needs in Her Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As I near graduation I’m forced to think about adequate and appropriate work clothes. While of course it can vary based on the environment where you work and the climate that you live in, here are a few standard items you should have on hand.

Matching Suit

Whether you have this on hand for an interview or a special occasion, a matching skirt or pantsuit is essential to have.

White Button Down

A classic choice, white button-downs can be easily dressed up or dressed down and go with virtually everything.

Lightweight Blazer

Blazers have the ability to transform any outfit into a classier look. Go for something more lightweight no matter where you live and you can always layer up for colder weather.

Knee Length Skirt

Not everyone goes for the skirt route, but if that’s your thing I recommend purchasing a knee-length skirt, either in a solid color or a more versatile pattern – think black and white checkered. Knee-length or more ensures it will always be workplace appropriate, which is really important in a professional setting.

Classic Black Slacks

Slacks are just in general a good thing to have on hand, and opting for a black pair ensures you’ll always be able to find something to match, even in a rush.

White Undershirt

Whether you use it under a suit or blazer or need it underneath a more sheer blouse, it is always good to have a white undershirt on hand.

Black Tights

This is especially helpful if you live in a slightly colder climate and ensures you can wear skirts all year round. They can also help pull together and complete a look.

Nude Shoes

This should kind of go without saying, but having neutral or nude-colored shoes is essential. Not only will it match virtually everything, but it makes it easy to plan an outfit in a pinch.

Hopefully, this gave some insight into some closet basics you need to be the working woman you aspire to be and gives you a good starting point for your post-graduate wardrobe!

Megan Grote

CU Boulder '21

Megan is currently a senior at CU Boulder, graduating December 2020, pursuing a double major in Communication and Chinese, and minoring in Information Science. Originally from Virginia, Megan grew up overseas in Qatar and loves learning about people and their experiences with the world. Her passions include all things ocean and space related, animals, and introducing others to the curative powers of funky socks.
Sko Buffs!