This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Beyond sipping on some hot cocoa, the cold snowy weather, and cozying up by a fireplace, no holiday season is complete without watching some classic cheesy Christmas movies. Netflix is no stranger to those predictable plots filled with cliches, and this is evident in all the original holiday releases they’ve had in the last couple of years. 

And, of course, this year is no different. Whether you’re in the mood for something heartwarming, funny, or romantic, Netflix has recently released a plethora of holiday movies (both new and old!) that will be sure to satisfy whatever you may be feeling in the moment. 

Take a look at all the festive new releases on Netflix:

Holiday in the Wild

Nov 1st: This movie takes on a little bit of an exotic twist when Kate Conrad ( Kristin Davis) is faced with a sudden end to her marriage during her second honeymoon with her husband. She then takes a detour on her trip by going on a safari in Africa instead―where she unexpectedly becomes closer to her pilot Derek Holliston (Robe Lowe) when they rescue an orphaned baby elephant.

A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby

Dec 5: As a part of the third installment of the original, A Christmas Prince, Amber Moore (Rose McIver) and Prince Richard (Ben Lamb) are all set to start their lives together when they find out they are expecting a new addition to the royal family. In preparation for the arrival of their new baby, they renew a treaty with another distant kingdom, but this treaty goes missing before they are able to do so―causing major panic when they realize the future of their new-born is threatened if the treaty is not found before Christmas Eve.

Let it Snow 

Nov 8: Does the film seem a little familiar? That’s because this film is based on the novel Let it Snow,  by Maureen Johnson, John Green, and Lauren Myracle. The movie revolves around three different storylines, and it follows the lives of a group of teenagers whose lives suddenly collide when a snowstorm hits their small town―changing each of them forever.

Holiday Rush

Nov 28: If you’re looking for a heartwarming-family movie, then look no further! This film focuses on single dad and DJ “Rush” Williams (Romany Malco) who gets fired from a radio station, leaving him at a complete loss after he’s been excessively spoiling his kids after their mother’s death. His producer (Sonequa Martin-Green) and Aunt Jo (Darlene Love) are willing to help out,  but there’s a catch―he has to leave his lavish lifestyle and switch to a simpler one.

The Knight Before Christmas

Nov 21: It’s official―Vanessa Hudgens is becoming the queen of Netflix’s cheesy rom-com’s. In this movie, Vanessa plays Brooke Winters, a science teacher who is completely disillusioned by love. All that changes when Sir Cole (Josh Whitehouse), a knight from the 14th century time travels to present day. Brooke takes him in and helps him fulfill his quest to return home when she realizes she doesn’t want him to leave.

Klaus

Nov 15: From the co-creator of Despicable Me, this movie is set in a small town called Smeerenburg (a frozen island near the Arctic Circle), where Jesper (voiced by Jason Schwartzman) receives his punishment after he is cast off to this town by his father. Surrounded by a bunch of grumpy locals, he finds companionship in a teacher named Alva (Rashida Jones) and a toy-maker named Klaus (J.K Simmons). Together, they bring Christmas spirit and joy back into the town.

Add these films to your binge-watch list this season, and you’ll be well on your way to making the holidays merrier. Oh, and shoutout to Netflix for giving us all these cheesy movies that we can’t get enough of! 

Happy Holidays!

Jessica Nguyen

CU Boulder '21

Jessica is currently a senior at the Leeds School of Business and is majoring in Marketing with a certificate in Creative Technology and Design. She is a big lover of all things art and music, and when she’s not in class or hitting the books, you’ll most likely find her petting other people’s dogs, making a baking disaster in the kitchen, or daydreaming about Paris.
Sko Buffs!