Career > Her20s

Five Valentine Date Ideas From a Closeted Romantic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As a kid, I grew up watching Disney princess movies. No surprise there due to how Generation Z was young around the time Disney’s franchise created and grew the empire of princesses who were swept off their feet by “ideal” men. I’ll admit, back then I was obsessed with Ariel from the little mermaid and her romantic relationship with Prince Eric. At the time, I didn’t realize that the underlying misogyny that was portrayed in Ariel’s silence was the way that she got Price Eric’s attention and dedication, and that when she finally got her voice back, he was already in love with this silent portrayal of her. Anyway, that’s a whole separate idea. But, after growing up with these romantically driven-up movies, I have some hope for some sort of date along the way. I would go far to say that I’ve kept these date ideas on the down-low due to how society functions in college, but let’s dive into it!  

1. Color Me Mine 

It recently came to my attention that some people don’t know what Color Me Mine is. Let me put you on something new if you haven’t gone. This business is essentially a pottery/ceramic-driven activity where you pick out something you would like to paint, have fired, and bring home as a keepsake. They have a variety of items to pick such as boxes, plates, bowls, mugs, figurines, piggy banks, and so much more. I honestly haven’t been able to go since I was a kid, but I think this would be a fun date for those with creative minds or those who want to step out of their comfort zone. I see this setting opening the chance to see your date express creativity along with what their sense of concentration looks like. And, you have seen the movies where the main character looks at their love interest covered with odd spots of paint with full concentration on the activity. There is a sense of non-sexual intimacy when you see those little moments of enjoyment or frustration. This here can also show you how the person deals with the much-needed patience when it comes to painting. Color Me Mine doesn’t necessarily need to be Valentine-orientated, but there’s nothing wrong with gravitating to those heart-shaped goods!

2. The Bar Scene

I know that usually, the bar scene is appealing to those who like the idea of grabbing drinks, but there is so much more to do than just simply grabbing drinks. For those who aren’t 21 or just aren’t a fan of alcohol, there’s something else to scratch the itch of socialization. If you and your date are into sports, there’s a good chance that you may be watching the game on television at the bar. Or, if you’re like me and not quite fully invested in the sport, there’s always the pool table calling your name. I won’t lie, I’m not the best at pool. But that doesn’t mean that I’m not game to go all out and try to creme someone in pool. I believe that this *friendly* competition can open the line for the date to become centered on just the two of you. Bar settings are a great way to make it feel like it’s two people against the hecticness of the setting. I also highly encourage you to try and distract your date while they try and take a risky shot on the pool table.  

3. Food Trucks 

I firmly believe that food trucks are a great way to step out of your comfort zone. This certain outing calls all the foodies out of their usual places to grab a bite while also allowing a new experience to take place with their date. Food trucks travel around the country, so there is a timely window to see when one will be coming near you. I have never gone on a food truck date, but this experience is a great way to either know someone better or to also spend quality time with that person. There’s the drive/walk to the truck and the natural need for conversation that goes along with the event. Bonus points for grabbing an ice cream or another dessert after the food trucks!

4. Museum Date

I love the museum environment and the intimacy of interactions in this setting. It’s always a fun time to see the variety of different perspectives one can have when it comes to an art installation or piece of artwork. Since we are close to the Denver area, there are a lot of museum options on the table. The plethora of choices makes the date more tailorable to whatever needs or wants you have in art. I love the art museums that lean more on the interactive side. I would love to see the interactive Van Gough installation along with the traveling show of Meow Wolf, which is currently in Denver.

5. Ice Skating

Just recently, I have found myself interested in learning how to ice skate. I recently was able to get off the wall, but I can guarantee you that I am still navigating the shaky and scary path of ice skating itself. I am fully a wimp, but I know that it’s something to be done. I think ice skating has the potential to be a fun date, no matter if you’re still learning or very advanced. You can fully make fun of someone falling and be close to them as you try and help them skate. I know I fell on my butt many times so far and would highly encourage someone to make fun of my failures. I know for a fact that I’m not a graceful faller in the slightest.  

Overall, there is quite some room for fun Valentine’s dates. I think that any date idea can work out for Valentine’s Day, it doesn’t necessarily have to revolve around the need for romanticism or heart-shaped things. Instead, it’s spending quality time with those you love. The person you love could be a friend, a family member, or a partner.

Katie Jacobson

CU Boulder '23

Katie is a Senior at the University of Colorado- Boulder. She is currently studying in the Classics department along with minoring in Anthropology and Creative Writing. Her hometown is Laguna Niguel, California. In her free time, you can find her discovering new music, reading, or grabbing a bagel from the Hill.